Ear problem- Allergies?

Thread: Ear problem- Allergies?

DefaultEar problem- Allergies?

This past year my labby has been having problems w/ his left ear (yeast infection). Heís currently being treated w/ a topical and oral med for his ear. I also started cleaning it out with the purple stuff a few days ago. It looks much better and doesnít seem to have any more yeast coming out of it (heís going back for a re-check next week).
    Anyway, one of the vets suggested that he may have food allergies so to try an elimination diet, though the vet he usually sees thought maybe his left ear just wasnít acidic enough. The vet who suggested he may have allergies told me to pick one protein source and to fed that w/ potatoes (something that I wouldnít normally fed everyday). We have cycled through a wide variety of meats and generally he gets fish twice a week, those days he doesnít have fish he usually gets fish oil. So I decided to go with duck (as he hasnít had much of it so itís a relatively new protein to his body). He told me for at least one month he couldnít have anything else not even veggies in his diet. I bought probiotic capsules as he is use to getting yogurt/kefir/or cottage cheese in his diet, and heís getting a multi-vitamin as well. Iím also adding olive oil or coconut oil.
    I ordered the duck w/ the organs in it and ground bone, and Iím adding potatoes as he canít have anything else. Itís my understanding that when the allergy diet is started it isnít suppose to be complete(though that worries me some).

Does any one have any suggestions or experience with this? There doesnít seem to be much history w/ allergies in his family at least on his mom's side.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ear problem- Allergies?

There are less than 5% of dogs with allergies that actually has food allergies. Until you have him tested (not the elimination way either), you'll never really know. What are you currently feeding?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    There are less than 5% of dogs with allergies that actually has food allergies. Until you have him tested (not the elimination way either), you'll never really know. What are you currently feeding?
    Well that is part of my concern. I didn't know the actual %, but I thought that food allergies were actually very rare. I started him on the allergy diet that I mentioned above about 3 days ago.

His regular diet would consist of a variety of muscle meats and I get different cuts when I can for variety. His calcium comes from either bones that have been ground up(I don't trust him w/ non-ground up bones, because he just swallows everything), or I'll add Call of the Wild. He gets liver added as his organ meat, but I'll add hearts(though I know it's really a muscle) and other things as I can find them. Call of the Wild has organ meat added to it, so when I fed that he will can still have some fresh organs added but not as much w/o it. Everyday I'll add yogurt(goats or milk) or kefir or cottage cheese. He gets a couple of tablespoons of one of the three in each meal. About 4 to 5 days a week he gets hardboiled eggs added to his food. On occasion he may get some potato, oats, or quinoa. But most of his meals are grain free, he may get a minimal amount in treats. And he gets a wide variety of veggies in his meals. As a snack sometimes he'll have some berries or share some of the fruit I'm eating such as an apple or banana which is usually about twice a week.
    My main oil of choice is salmon, but sometimes after I've fed an oil for a month or two I'll change it up for a while. I've never had problems doing this and I think it provides variety.
    He has really good stools. At one time he had a little bit of a problem w/ that. But I reformulated his diet and did somethings different(such as making sure that he got probiotics in each of his meals) and he's been fine ever since.

Oh and as far as the testing goes I've been told that it produces a lot of false positives or can anyway, and that the elimination diet was the only way to know. Not saying that you're wrong or right just that I've been told the opposite.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Boomer, it's interesting that you're posting about this because I've recently gone through the same thing the past year with my 8 year old lab KD under a conventional vet. I don't think it's food allegy related and here's why. KD also had a yeast infection in the left ear and she's been on a raw diet her whole life. I finally found a holistic vet to treat her. This vet didn't think it was allergy related either because only one ear is affected. As the vet said, if it were caused by an allergy, then both ears would have the same problem. At least that's what this vet observed with patients having a similar condition in her practice.

Coincidentally, my holistic vet said the same thing as your vet about the left ear not being acidic enough. Don't know about the purple stuff but if it isn't oily, it's not going to cut through the all the hardened impacted debris caused by the yeast infection. First thing the holistic vet had me do was to clear out all the hardened gunk by filling the ear canal with almond oil (found in local supermarket) and gently messaging for a few minutes. The almond oil treatment worked very well. Then to restore the proper acidity in the ear, the vet suggested a half vinegar/half water mixture rinse after the almond oil treatment (1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water mixture if there's any open sores in the ear canal). I used the almond oil/vinegar rinse on day 1 and just the vinegar mix rinse for the next 3 days. That cleared it all up and the yeast infection/ear gunk has not returned. The vet also reported good results returning the ear to the proper acidity by filling then gently messaging the ear with plain vanilla organic yogurt. I haven't tried the yogurt treatment yet but if you do it, the vet suggested doing it outside where you don't mind yogurt flying all over the place when they start shaking their head.

Oh that's very helpful jlab. Thank you so much. I have thought about consulting a holistic vet about this. He does need to be seen after the new year.

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

Ruby had her first ear infection just a few months ago, had been on the same food for three years.

This is going to be really wise, so get a pencil Sometimes, they just get ear infections on occasion. Same as humans.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Until you have him tested (not the elimination way either), you'll never really know.
    Disagree with that. Sorry Dani! Frankie had yeasty ear problems for a long time. I think it was just his left ear. My vet doesn't do allergy testing, so we tried eliminating. First fish and then egg product. His ears are 100% since taking those two things out of his diet.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    Ruby had her first ear infection just a few months ago, had been on the same food for three years.

This is going to be really wise, so get a pencil Sometimes, they just get ear infections on occasion. Same as humans.
    On occasion is one thing, but an ongoing problem is another.

sloigo is offline Senior Member

I have a 5 yo foster dog right now, has really bad allergies. Part of the reason the elderlady gave her up, she couldnt afford the special dog food she thought she needed from the vet & the allergy shots she needed weekly. We have had her a few months & tried different foods wth her & apple cider vinegar & vit c in her diet. Long story short, Sady is now on a regular food, a few daily inexpensive suppliments & hasn't needed a shot in over a month. Her problem is also just one sole ear gets gunk build up, I just wipe it now & it has stayed clear. We also are using a plastic coated swim collar on her, just to aviod having moisture,dirt & bacteria in a material collar (just in case). Her allergy papers show she is highly allergic to dust mites ...they didnt even test her for food. A lot of out house has the laminant floors.

http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/g...ar-infections/
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.