need answers... not that serious... but still need good answers

Thread: need answers... not that serious... but still need good answers

Tsina is offline Senior Member

Defaultneed answers... not that serious... but still need good answers

Hi long time no see =) i just need some good answers for my lab related question ;D

Yesterday, I gave my lab some sour sop (no seeds of course) she LOVED it since she lived in a farm before she was given to me by my uncle. Now my question is

"Are sour sop's okay for my dog? or do they have some kind of "ingredients" in them that are not good for labs/dogs?"

Today, I gave her (well my mom told me to give her) some pineapple... And again she LOVED it... Since they have a lot of fruits in the farm... Now again my question is

"Are pineapple's okay for my dog? or do they have a certain "ingredient" that is not good for labs/dogs?"

Thank you to those who are kind enough to answer these questions =) Love you all!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jovana is offline Member

DefaultRe: need answers... not that serious... but still need good answers

almost all fruit and vegetable is good for our dogs.
    my dog eats everything i give to him. only milk and milk products and
    also chocolate are not allowed. ok,they are allowed if u wanna kill
    ur dog. chocolate and milk that humans eat are bad for dogs because of
    some ingredients! there is a special chocolate made for dogs,that's ok.
    just let your dog enjoy vegetables and fruit! kisses ;D
    I&#39;m proud owner of a YELLOW LAB!<br />

jlab Guest

I'd be very careful feeding soursop. For humans, eating soursop over the long term may increase the risk for a form of Parkinson's Disease. From Wikipedia:

"Research carried out in the Caribbean has suggested a connection between consumption of soursop and atypical forms of Parkinson's disease due to the very high concentration of Annonacin."

Not sure if this would apply to dogs, but personally I wouldn't risk it. Dogs are carnivores and fruits are not needed in their diet anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I don't know what sour sop is but there are some fruits and veggies that you should avoid feeding your dogs.
    Amoung those are Onions, Garlic, Grapes, & Rasins, Macadamia nuts, Mushrooms. A little of any of these probably won't kill your dog but they can make them sick and if they get a larger quantity it can be fatal. Also the sweetner Xylitol which is in a lot of sugar free gum and other products can make them quiet sick in larger quantities.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Jovana is offline Member

Yeah,i agree.
    we all should be careful with the things we
    give to our pets
    but things like tomatoes,bananas,apples,watermelon etc.
    can't hurt our dogs.
    I&#39;m proud owner of a YELLOW LAB!<br />

lablover88 is offline Member

On the topic of foods dogs cant eat.........is it bad to give dogs yogurt that humans eat. I let my dog lick the yogurt container when I'm done sometimes. Hope this isn't bad! ???

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Yogurt us fine for dogs, but the low- or no-fat versions are better. Onion, grapes, raisins, and chocolate are all potentially poisonous to dogs - so why chance even a little? My dogs get lots of fruits and veggies (Shadow used to steal strawberries from the garden and apples right off the tree):

carrot
    green bean
    watermelon
    canteloupe
    pineapple
    apple
    peach
    pear
    lettuce
    tomato
    cabbage
    strawberry
    mango
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

...The milk thing got me worried... One time my dog accidentally ate this baygon thing for mosquitoes so my mom said just give her milk so i did... :-\ and our maid who doesn't believe what i say gives the left over milk of my niece... I should really tell her to listen to me. So the sour sop is a "no no" for Tsina? She likes the sour sop more than the pineapple :P i'll just hide when i eat some LOL ;D btw thanks for the help =)

PS: Doesn't watermelon give them soft poop? are green mangoes okay for them, or just ripe ones?

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Some things that are ok from dogs may still give them soft poo every dog is a little different and some have a iron stomach and others not so much. Some fruits that have pits in them can cause problems with blockages so just be on the look out. Mainly just keep the other foods to a minimum until you know how your dog will react to them and maybe try to only add one thing at a time so you can tell what they have a reaction to if they have one.

I would ask the maid to not give her the milk. Although it's not likley to hurt her in small amounts it's not going to help her either. The only time I've heard to give milk is if they eat something sharp they say to soak bread in milk and feed it to them. The bread wraps up the sharp object so it doesn't cut their insides. Not sure why the milk then but that's what I've heard several people here mention.

Yogurt is good for them though (a few tsp at a time) the probiotics can help regulate their digestive tract.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

ohh thanks you =)