Yogurt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

DefaultYogurt

A few threads have come up in the last few months regarding adding yogurt to a dog's diet (whether in the kong as a treat, or daily as a probiotic). I know that from what I've read you should NOT add it to a pup's diet for its calcium levels. What age do you think it is okay to start introducing it? I know we all switch from puppy to adult at different ages, depending on breeder recommendation or different research, so I was wondering what others feel is an okay age to feed yogurt.
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Yogurt

Well, it depends on how much you give and how much calcium is in the current food. You may have room as it's the total amount of calcium given that is the concern. I never bother with it because most of those probiotics don't make it, I use an actual probiotic as opposed to yogurt. Plus, you don't have to worry about calcium if it's a pup you're giving it to.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I use it very rarely as a special treat. But same as Nick, I've heard most of the probiotics in yogurt are pretty well useless, I just give him an actual probiotic (those are same for puppers! )
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I would not give yogurt to your puppy on a regular basis. I learned the hard way...I gave it to Zoe because I heard so many others were giving it to their dogs and found out she had an issue with dairy. If it's the puppy in your siggy pic, I would stick to basics right now...their digestive systems are still developing and your can cause more problems than you might do good by introducing too many things.

lablover88 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I use it very rarely as a special treat. But same as Nick, I've heard most of the probiotics in yogurt are pretty well useless, I just give him an actual probiotic (those are same for puppers! )
    What kind do you give yours and where do you get it?

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I use fat-free yogurt in their Kongs. Luckily, neither of them has an issue with dairy products.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by lablover88
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    What kind do you give yours and where do you get it?
    I get it at a local organic grocery store. It is a refrigerated variety meant for people, but it works well for him. It has a few different strains in it of acidophilus and bifidobacterium, I believe.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

I was personally wondering about the age for yogurt not for the probiotics, but more as a treat in the kong a few times a week for an easy filling (we usually have yogurt around the house). The calcium levels in his current puppy food are 1.4 to 1.6 (and when I switch to adult on the same food in 3-6 months they are 1.6 to 1.8). He's currently 6 months. So is one year is okay, or should I wait until 2?
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

Consumer Reports a little while back tested yogurt vs. probiotic supplements. They found through testing that the yogurt was actually better and contained more live cultures/strains of good bacteria. I was rather shocked because I always heard how probiotic supps. were the best, and I spent a lot of money buying one of the top ones.

And I've read at least one study involving the positive effects of yogurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    Consumer Reports a little while back tested yogurt vs. probiotic supplements. They found through testing that the yogurt was actually better and contained more live cultures/strains of good bacteria. I was rather shocked because I always heard how probiotic supps. were the best, and I spent a lot of money buying one of the top ones.

And I've read at least one study involving the positive effects of yogurt.
    there are many many different types of probiotic supplements, some are much, much better than others.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast