Should I be worried? Or am I just being uber-paranoid?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be worried? Or am I just being uber-paranoid?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultShould I be worried? Or am I just being uber-paranoid?

Baloo hasn't put on any weight in at least two months. From 7 months - 9 months he weighs the same. That's not normal.... is it..???

His withers measurement (using a horse term because I don't know the dog term. :-[) is 21.5 - 21.75 inches, depending on my steadiness of hand and his posture at that time.

He only eats three cups of the Fromms in a day split over two meals of 1 and a half cups, the kcal is 370/cup. I have tried to increase it three times, and all three times he got really bad poops that didn't go away until I cut the food back again. :-\

He looks skinny to me. And I am so super anal about not having him overweight in the least, so that's really saying something, trust me. You can't see his ribs, but they are easily felt. VERY easily felt.

These are a few shots of him from the last little while, I'm going to try and get some more angles in the next few days, so you guys can tell me what you think.

His poops are OK. They are firm and formed, but the last week they've been rather small. Same amount, but a lot of the time it looks like rabbit-type poops, not a lot of "logs". Problem or No?

Energy level is fine, coat is nice and glossy..... he is always rooting around for food, but he's been doing that since he was a pup, so no change there. :

Is there something wrong with him? Don't get me wrong, I will be happy if he is just a smaller lab, that would actually be ideal, I'm just worried that it's not normal and there's something the matter.... you know...?? *help* :-[
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Should I be worried? Or am I just being uber-paranoid?

Kate, how much does he weigh? Can you get a shot of him from above?

He looks lean, and has a nice tuck. I prefer leaner dogs, though you shouldn't be able to see ribs at all. He's from field lines, is he not?

Henry is eating about the same as Baloo kcals/day (366kcal/cup x 3 cups).

I think that as long as he's not losing any weight, I would think he is fine.

*going to check Henery's weight gain as a pup for you*

Okay, I'm back. If I remember correctly, Henry hit 60lbs at 8 months. Over the next 4 years, he has only gained at most 10lbs but usually hovers in around the 68lb mark. Could be that Baloo has done most of his growing, but may continue to fill out some. I noticed that with Henry after he turned about a year old.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

labby is offline Senior Member

Maybe what you're feeding him isn't giving him enough calories.

Horse term and dog term is withers.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Aimee is offline Senior Member

I posted about the same thing with Pickles not too long ago - at ~8 months, she started looking scrawny to me inspite of eating 4 cups a day of Pro Plan (she's only 35 pounds, so for her size, that's a lot of food!). The extra food seemed to go right through her for awhile, and if she got too much extra, she got loose stools. She had been eating that food since she was 4 months old and had done great on it, so I didn't think that was the problem. I honestly think she just went through an awkward stage because now she has filled out and looks great, and she's down to 3 cups of food a day. She stayed steady at around 32 pounds when she was 8 and 9 months old, but she recently went up to 35 and looks perfect. So hang in there - just like people, some dogs go through that lanky, awkard stage (middle school anyone?), but just give him time. In the mean time, if you really think he's too skinny, then you might want to look at a more calorically dense food or one that he can tolerate in larger quantities.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Gabs hit a plateau around that age according to my notes.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Kate,
    That's the age they can get all gawky. If he's looking thin though, have you tried digestive enzymes? He could just need of some help. They sure help my gang--- and my food bill! When Rosa was young, ~1yo, I remember having to feed her almost 5 C of food a day and she's only ~67# or so!

I switched Sonya from Euk LBP to Canidae at 12 mos, and immediately was able to cut back almost a full cup from what I was feeding due to calories alone. She too had gotten a bit thin at that point but she was eating as much as I could get her to eat. So, higher calorie food or try the enzymes.... I would opt for the latter though so not to be changing too much right now. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Sorry, he's 55 lbs, I really should have put that in the original post, huh? Whoops.

He seems to have a real sensitivity to excess calories, seems that he has a problem with processing the extra. If he gets too many treats in a day, he gets diarrhea for ~24 hrs. If I tried to increase his food, same deal. Doesn't matter what kind of treats (different protein sources, vegetable based, whatever), the calories seem to be the only thing available to blame.

I had him on a higher calorie/very nutrient dense food and he did horrible on it. Loose, mucousy poos, almost constant diarrhea. :-X He really is doing well on the Fromm's, especially compared to how he did on others. Because of this, I am very afraid to change his food again, I do NOT want to go through that ever again.

Anne, he's on a probiotic, is that the same as digestive enzymes? It has Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium and acidophilus in it, it is a refrigerated variety.

Honestly, I have looked him over in every light and every angle and you can't see ribs at all. Is it OK that they're so easily felt..?

ETA: he's a field/bench combo. An "inbetweeny" as I like to say. He's supposed to be more bench according to his pedigree, about 75-25 bench-field.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Kate... digestive enzymes are different than probiotics. Ours is called RxZyme, we get it at our holistic vet.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Has he gotten taller? maybe he's going through a growth spurt...

lablover88 is offline Member

My lab is 3 1/2 and he only weighs about 65lbs. His weight has fluctuated quite a bit over the past year. I know what you mean though....sometimes I look at mine and think he's lookin pretty skinny. If something was wrong, you'd think yours would be acting differently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast