Ear Gunk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Gunk

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

DefaultEar Gunk

When your labs get gunk in their ears do they usually get it in both ears?
    What does the gunk look like? Is it dark? Does it look like dried blood?
    Thanks
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jan elaine Guest

DefaultRe: Ear Gunk

Ambers always started in one ear but then moved to both! :-\ And yes it was always dark. Not like dried blood though. Sort of dark brown and a crisco-ish waxy feel. : You might need a prescription if the dog is shaking their head alot.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I can be in just one or both. Generally it's waxy brown gunk.
    It if looked like dried blood I would take her to the vet for sure.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If it's very dark and black in color it may be yeast in which case your dog will need to see a vet. Esp. if you clean it out and it comes back. The ear(s) may also be red and tender to the touch and an odor may be present.
    A yeast problem in one or both ears that is recurrent can be caused by allergies or candida.

The ear does not smell and it does not seem tender. She is not excessively shaking her head either. So far it has not migrated to the other ear. She was taking Cephalexin for a different problem. Would that have 'unbalanced' her and let yeast and candida grow? She has not had any Cephalexin since Dec. 7. She did have a rabies shot on Dec. 13. At that time her ears were clear. Then on the 17th gunk appeared. It is looking better this evening.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ownlabnjrt
    The ear does not smell and it does not seem tender. She is not excessively shaking her head either. So far it has not migrated to the other ear. She was taking Cephalexin for a different problem. Would that have 'unbalanced' her and let yeast and candida grow? She has not had any Cephalexin since Dec. 7. She did have a rabies shot on Dec. 13. At that time her ears were clear. Then on the 17th gunk appeared. It is looking better this evening.

Thanks for the replies.
    Right now Boomer is having a problem w/ yeast but it's only in his left ear(that's the only ear that bothers him), may or may not be allergy related. His ear doesn't smell either(at least not to the humans in the house, the other dogs will go up to him and smell it) though some dogs do get very smelly ears when infected which is why I mentioned that it may or may not have an odor.
    Yes, antibiotics can interfere with the normal flora in the body and cause yeast overgrowth. Esp. if probiotics are not given during and after treatment. Thus, in turn can cause an ear infection. What does the discharge in her ear look like?

Still looking fairly clean tonight (Friday) after being cleaned late yesterday. The gunk is a dark brown. I fingered some last night and it could be called waxy, I think. If it comes back, I will try to post a picture of it.

I bought some Blue Buffalo treats a couple of weeks ago that I thought fit my 'allowed' criteria. I have stopped feeding them and gone back to the old. Blue Buffalo dog food did not work for us this summer. Since last spring's recall, I have tried several dog foods. Royal Canin Lab formula is what Reba has been eating for about 3 months. She also gets samples of Halle's Royal Canin Adult 27 (leftovers).

tangelo53 is offline Senior Member

Can your dog have an ear infection with the ears looking clean? The reason why I am asking is that Abby has been shaking her head lately and when we go to check out her ears, they look clean. We even dabbed a q-tip in there and it came out clean.

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tangelo53
    Can your dog have an ear infection with the ears looking clean? The reason why I am asking is that Abby has been shaking her head lately and when we go to check out her ears, they look clean. We even dabbed a q-tip in there and it came out clean.
    Yes, dogs can have an ear infection, yeast, fungus, etc. even when it looks clean to you on the outside. Unless you have an otiscope to see deep into the ear, you may not be able to see or swab impacted gunk that's close to the eardrum. I've used a foaming ear cleaner for several days on my lab KD with the liquid being pretty clear coming out. After each cleaning, I examined her ear with an otiscope and could see hard black debris impacted on the eardrum and along the sides of the ear canal. It was so ingrained that when I removed a small portion of it at the top of her ear canal with a q-tip, the skin below it was raw and bleeding. When I used an oil based cleaner, a tremendous amount of black debris came out. It took daily cleanings for a week with this oil based ear cleaner to remove all the impacted debris.

The over-the-counter oil based cleaner (zymox) did a great job getting out all the hardened debris but all the black stuff kept coming back if I didn't clean it every day. I finally took her to a holistic vet who found that all the black stuff was a yeast infection (they look at it under a microscope to make a positive id). The vet was actually surprised that the zymox didn't clear it up since that's what many vets use for treating yeast infections in the ear. She had some pretty interesting holistic alternatives that I had not heard of before. One was to fill the ear canal with plain vanilla organic yogurt. She also said that's she's had very good sucess with almond oil to remove the impacted debris then using a mixture of half vinegar and half water to rinse it out (to treat the yeast and establish the correct pH in the ear canal to prevent recurrence). If there is any open sores in the ear, she suggested using 1/4 vinegar/ 3/4 water mixture until the sores healed (she said the half and half will really sting if there's any open sores). I tried the almond oil and vinegar/water rinse method and the almond oil worked just as well as the zymox to remove the impacted debris. The vinegar/water rinse was very effective. It totally got rid of the yeast and it hasn't returned.

One last thing, if your dog is shaking her head, that's a pretty good indication of an ear problem. They usually won't start shaking their head unless the ear problem has gotten pretty bad. I think it's a good idea to take her to a vet to get it taken care of before it gets even worse.

shin-yi is offline Junior Member

Ops. my dog has some brownish-waxy thing in both of his ears.

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    One last thing, if your dog is shaking her head, that's a pretty good indication of an ear problem. They usually won't start shaking their head unless the ear problem has gotten pretty bad. I think it's a good idea to take her to a vet to get it taken care of before it gets even worse.
    If he does not shake, but he uses his leg to scratch his ear, does that mean anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast