Weightloss for 6 y.o.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weightloss for 6 y.o.

maus is offline Member

DefaultWeightloss for 6 y.o.

I have a 6 y.o. lab and have recently found out that she has very bad hips. She is also overweight and needs to lose about 20 lbs, I've been trying with little success to get the weight off of her, I've lowered her food intake, upped her exercise and restricted treats. So far she's lost about 5 lbs in 3 months and she will gain/lose around 2 lbs per month.

The vet wants her to start on a weight loss aid called slentrol, has anybody heard of this? Good/bad? I really want to lose the fat but not at the risk of her long term health, but she does need to lose so her hips won't be under so much strain.

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Have they run a thyroid panel on her? There is a woman in our apartment complex who has one of her dogs on a weight loss medication, don't know the name of it, but the dog has lost weight. It is a miniature pinscher (sp).

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

maus is offline Member

Yes, she's had a thyroid panel done along with a complete blood work up about a month ago. Everything was in normal ranges, except for being overweight and bad hips she's very healthy I just worried that she will be in pain and she'll have an uncomfortable life. I want help her as much as possible, I'd like to say that I'd get her surgery for the hips but right now that is not something I can afford to do. Since I'm having trouble getting her to lose weight I'm looking at alternatives to help her out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

What and how much are you feeding her?

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

what are you feeding and how much
    Kim

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When Puff gained several pounds, I began using some Sam's Club frozen string beans (about $1/lbs) that I cooked without salt to supplement the kcals/food she was NOT getting.

That's worked fairly well, she's now back to her ideal weight, 62 lbs.

Don't know if that would help but it's worth considering.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

My dogs are on a restrictive diet (although my old yellow doesnt need to lose weight, so he gets more treats)...They get half cup of senior kibble, plus greenbeans (natural fiber that helps to fill them) and either baby carrots or apple pieces, twice a day...Jo has lost 6 pounds in the last couple of months (his exercise tolerance level is low due to heartworm he had previous to us adopting him and he can only walk about 1.2 miles)...Emmers gets 2 coffee scoops of kibble, green beans, apple or baby carrots twice daily.... with daily walks....

What kind of food and how much is he getting?

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The dog dropped 5 lbs in 3 months. That would mean 20 lbs in the year. How much does the dog weigh. If 100 lbs that would be dropping 20% of its body weight in a year. Seems like a good rate of loss to me.

Do you know what anyone else that may live with you might be giving the dog, treats or tablescraps? That could defeat what you are trying to accomplish if others are treating the dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Years ago, I got back one of my pups at 7 yrs old, and he was obese... needed to lose at least 20#. My vet said WSU routinely would get dogs in that needed surgery on joints like that, and that they did just fine on "crash diets". So that's what we did. I took him down to just 3/4 cup of (Canidae ALS) food 2x a day. I believe his weight came off in a matter of 3 mos with new owner also walking him daily too.

Just cut her back, exercise, and don't give into those pleading eyes, unless you respond w/ a walk or swim or something. Remember that the weight is not just bad for her joints but also her heart and longevity in general. Get it off. Anne

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Many dogs loose weight on grain free kibble. I believe Orijen has the lowest fat content of most grain free foods.

The other thing is that your dog may not metabolize fat properly (this can be determined thru blood work but can't remember what to look for on the lab work).

Years ago a holistic vet diagnosed my girl with this. She was put on 1200 mg of soy lecithin daily and within 6 months blood work showed improvement. At 1 year she was 100% (she had no issues with soy, but some dogs do)

I kept her on the Lecithin for life. Humans also take Lecithin to drop weight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast