not pooping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not pooping

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Defaultnot pooping

Bogey has been on a bland diet of chicken and rice since Friday. He is also on flagyl, he pooed once on Sat, that was it! He hasn't pooped since. I did tell the vet yesterday and he said no worries the meds will bind him. But cmon, no poop for 2 whole days. Hes not even trying. I did mix some dog food in this morning and I was hoping that would do the trick but nothing. Anyone EVER have this happen? Or am I being a little neurotic?

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: not pooping

Jonah had a similar problem this weekend! He had diarrhea all last week. Started on medication after Friday's vet visit. I also gave him an immodium per my vet's instructions. It must have really worked, because his last poop was about 6 hours later, and it was around 36 hours before he pooped again. I was getting up every few hours in the middle of the night thinking he must have to go by now, and finally got one around 3 am the following day. Since then (the last 2 days) I think he has pooped once a day, but I think that maybe it also has to do with his body using all the chicken and rice? Gave him kibble for dinner last night, and finally had a semi-normal poop this morning!

Seems like a lot of our dogs have had diarrhea this week! Or maybe I'm just noticing since I was dealing with it with Jonah. Hopefully Bogey's kibble will help push things along and you'll get a poop soon! If you don't I'd put another call in to the vet later today and ask how long is too long.
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

Oh the frustration! I called the vet and hes not worried!!! He asked if he was trying to go I said no he said then he doesnt have to. Maybe I just need to relax a bit. Hopefully lunchtime kibble will bring something out!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Whenever I've put Baloo on a bland diet he rarely goes, too. Once a day maybe (he's normally a twice-a-day guy!) sometimes a few days without going. :-\

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless he starts to act uncomfortable.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Ditto what Kate said. Fasting, plus bland diets (which tend to be a bit more digestible) usually will bring on smaller and fewer poops. Henry does the same, goes from twice a day to once, if that.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Dad of Toby is offline Senior Member

Try to find comfort in the Vet's lack of concern. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. If he doesn't poop in a day or two then let the Vet know.

georgie is offline Senior Member

My girls will do the same thing if they have fasted & then been on a bland diet. I wouldn't worry unless he seems to be straining & then not going.
    Poop is such a big thing with us & our labs.

FINALLY! I was getting worried. He went around 4:30. I will be soo happy when my boy is back to normal. Thanks everyone. How long do you all take to get them back to kibble? Today was the first day for a little bit two more days sound right ?

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

Yeah for poop! How was it? I can't answer the question on how long. I put Jonah back on last night, and we are doing good so far, but who knows if that will last; we've already had to refast and start over once during this. I wonder if I was supposed to gradually add back in kibble? I did last night (1/2 chicken/rice and 1 cup of kibble instead of his normal 2). But both meals today I just did his normal kibble. I wouldn't have minded continuing the chicken and rice for a few more days (I had some left anyway), but I didn't like that he wasn't pooping on it!
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

It wasnt solid but it wasnt liquid :-\ but he had been holding it for a long time. The vet told me to change gradually I think by Thursday I'll give all kibble. I have about a days worth of c&r left. I think he will be disapointed he likes the c&r!

Sunnylaz:
    How are the obedience classes coming? I sent my check and our lady called me the other day I am sooo excited!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast