Fasting everytime they have diarrhea? Updated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting everytime they have diarrhea? Updated

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultFasting everytime they have diarrhea? Updated

Update

I had a vet apointment for thursday but it was diarrhea again this AM so I went in during my lunch hour. Vet isn't too worried. She said since he has had giardia his system is likely weaker and it takes longer to fight off what is likely a bug he picked up along the way (since he's a poop/snow eater). I have metronidazole to help him heal (synthetic antibacterial and antiprotazoal agent).

We are sending yet another stool sample to be tested.

Thanks for all your help. I'm just not used to the rice/beef/pumpkin not working right away (it always has in the past)

This may be an odd question. But should I fast everytime Rocky has diarrhea? He had it on friday so I fasted and on Saturday started rice/beef/pumpkin. Yesterday (monday) he had diarrhea but I did not fast again. This morning (tuesday) he has diarrhea again. The real liquid kind. Should I fast again? The poops on the weekend were good (saturday sunday). I did ask my vet yesterday and they said stick to rice/beef/pumpkin but....things are not improving

he is still very hungry though.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fasting everytime they have diarrhea?

Oh no, Tanya... I hope Rocky is feeling better soon!

Whenever Henery has diarrhea, I fast him for 24 hours, and then feed him small meals of bland... this last time he continued to have diarrhea while on the bland, but I didn't fast him again, I just fed him smaller meals... otherwise he would have been fasting for days.

So, to answer your question, I'm not sure!! But I hope Rocky is feeling better soon! Poor fella.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

Uggg! I just went through a week of this with Jonah. I did fast him 2 times during the week as it'd get better, then bad again. The vet said he looked perfectly normal, to keep him on chicken and rice (and pumpkin) for a few meals after normal poops. Also, they told me to give ONE immodium (not one a day, not one every time he has soft poops this week, but one; she said if I gave him more than one he'd get blocked up!). I gave him one Friday afternoon, and the diarrhea finally stopped 6 hours later. It definitely helped! Last night was first meal of kibble again, we'll see how it goes! The last two times I tried to switch we had to start the process over again. Were you still feeding him the rice/beef/pumpkin when he had the diarrhea again? It is probably worth it to have a fecal if you haven't just to rule out anything (we did just to be sure, they also gave me some medicine to help as well too). Also, vet recommended feeding 3-4 smaller meals while sick instead as well to help the digestion. So maybe you could try one more small fast (maybe skip breakfast this morning) and then start feeding a few smaller meals later today?

Hope Rocky feels better soon!
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fritofeet is offline Senior Member

Why beef? A lot of dogs have beef issues. I thought most people give boiled chicken.
    'My mommy says you're all just jealous.'

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I hope Rocky gets to feeling better soon. I would say if you don't want to fast him each time just to the rice. At least he will get something but it shouldn't upset his stomach. Someone else said their vet suggested mashed potatoes instead of rice.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

labby is offline Senior Member

Diarrhea is a symptom. If your dog is having that much diarrhea you need to find out why. Every time you feed the animal something when it has diarrhea, you are basically only giving the dog more stuff to squirt out. That's why they suggest a fast, to rest the gut so it doesn't keep having the squirts.

Laura

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would take him to a vet, Tanya, if you haven't already. Diarrhea that goes on longer than a day or two (three tops) would have me worried there was something else going on....

The one time I took Baloo to the vet he was put on flagyl, which really helped.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Flagyl did nothing for my dog.
    <br />Oregon

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Flagyl did nothing for my dog.
    Well it did for mine. I wasn't touting it as a wonder drug, obviously different things work for different dogs.

Worth a shot, I'd say.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    I hope Rocky gets to feeling better soon. I would say if you don't want to fast him each time just to the rice. At least he will get something but it shouldn't upset his stomach. Someone else said their vet suggested mashed potatoes instead of rice.
    Science Diet I/D also works.

I'd head to the vet, too.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast