Bad poop - not getting better - update at bottom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad poop - not getting better - update at bottom

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultBad poop - not getting better - update at bottom

Rocky's poop was great on Orijen (we are on bag #3). Three weeks ago they were too soft so I put him on a bland diet for a week and there was improvement Not nearly as solid as before though. So back on dog food. I also brought in a stool sample at the vet to be sure - came back clean (paid $100 to cover ALL parasites and giardia). oh he was back on dog food about two weeks.

Friday morning - bad diarrhea. quite bad. withheld food yesterday, today he is getting rice/pumpkin and tomorrow I may start bringing in beef (it's boiled and ready to go).

i'll keep him on the bland diet for abit. Which is a pain because we do alot of training these days (rally-o, flyball, i'm trying to work on recall too).

As mentionned in GC he has been eating poop so it COULD easily be that - but the test came back clear. Could he have picked up just a "bug" that needs to pass and doesn't appear in stool testing?

And yes, until I figure this out we will be more careful at the park (I will keep him on a long line in the quiet part so he can run but I have better control).

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bad poop - not getting better

It could be that the food just doesn't work for him. My dog had been a food for 3 years, did great on it, then started to have poop issues, colitis, etc., Did the bland diet thing, chicken and rice, pumpkin, etc. Had good poops, bad poops, good poops, bad poops. Finally switched foods. Nothing but good poops.

so maybe, even though he had perfect poop for awhile, the food is no longer working? Hmm..that would suck! but i'll see if I can eliminate other "potential causes" and see if that is the case.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Seems like you had some issues starting Orijen, i.e., poop eating, wanting more food, etc. Just saying...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hmm... it really sucks cause poop issues could mean sooo many things.

Maybe the Orijen isn't working well for him, maybe he picked up a bug, maybe he's feeling a little stressed because of the training, and so on and so on... :-\

I always recommend a good pro-biotic, it's made a huge difference for Baloo (and me too! ;D) but outside of that I don't really know what to say. :-[

I hope you can figure it out soon!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

brody is offline Senior Member

fecal tests aren't always 100% accurate either

I have treated without a positive result on occasion and been amazed at the results

nothing more frustrating

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Oh boy Tanya, I feel your frustration. :-\

I just recently had Henery's smushy poop looked at for giardia and parasites... negative also.

I would second what Kate said about probiotics (I use the SISU brand one that you can get at Loblaws, RCSS etc, SISU Dophilus Plus... Henry gets a capsule with each meal) and I also am using a digestive enzyme with him (RxZyme) from our holistic vet.

I hope that Rocky's poops get better and that maybe he just got into something?

LKG

Just confirming you haven't increased the amount you are feeding? It seems like there is a fine line for Daisy between one cup and one heaping cup per feeding and if she doesn't get exactly that her poops are either tiny or more on the runny side...

Has he had anything different even as a treat? Any raw bones etc?

Not much help, but good luck!

he has not been getting more kibble (we were down to 1.5 cups twice a day).

HOWEVER, he likely was getting more treats (varied treats) due to all the training. I do cut down abit of food when I treat but I think that might have all been too much food AND too much variety. Once we go back to kibble I will keep treating with cheerios for abit and see if we can solve the problem.

day 2 on the bland diet (and one day on top of that of fasting) and poops are good (small) but I will keep up the bland diet for as long as I can (a week?) to be safe.

Thanks guys. Hopefully if i am careful I can figure this out. Hoping it's more a food thing and NOT poop eating.

Oh and he ate poop on his other food. I remember this time last year I stopped the dog park altogether I was so mad about teh poop eating.

Suegene is offline Senior Member

I wouldnt give cheerios for treats either - I would use pieces of the kibble you are feeding. Wheat drives Cooper nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast