week one post op

Thread: week one post op

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultweek one post op

Well, a week has past since my lab(Emma) had TPLO surgery.
    What a week we have had.
    She came home last Saturday and we decided to keep her in the laundry room as her incision was still leaking a bit and it was the best room to put her in to keep her quiet. She seems happy for the first few days but soon realized that this was not were she wanted to be. Since we also have a 12 yr old lab it made our life turn a bit upside down since both dogs are supposed to be separated for at least two weeks and they both want to be together all the time.
    The week has gone quick but eventful.

On day three Emma decided that she wanted to see what was on the counter so she just jumped up on the counter to see even though she is not to be jumping at all for 2-3 months.

Yesterday, again, jumped on the washer to see what was up there.

The icing on the cake was today when she had had enough of being in the laundry room. Right in front of my husband she cleared a baby gate blocking the door way without any warning by her part. She landed well and just kept on going. She appears to be ok and quiet proud of herself that she got out.

Our challenge is to now keep her quiet in our bedroom which is bigger and hopefully a bit more cooler for her than the laundry room.

We are trying a new product called Biocalm to help settle her a bit so that she doesn't get so frustrated being confined for still the next 2+ months.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. We have bought her some new toys and treats but they only last for so long.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: week one post op

Sorry you are having to go through this. Is there a reason that you don't just crate her? Two other ideas/thoughts -- if you aren't going to crate her and are going to keep her in a room, you might try stacking two baby gates (one on top of the other) to keep her from going over. Of course, that won't stop her from jumping on other things (beds, etc). I have seen no-jump harnesses advertised. I'm sure she'd hate it, but maybe it's an idea. I did a quick google search and saw this one: http://www.gundogsonline.com/misc-do...t-harness.html However, it seems like crating would be a better solution, if it's workable.

Good luck.
    <br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~

lab13 is offline Senior Member

ChowHound - The reason we aren't crating her most of the time is becuase I think she stiffens up in the crate. When we have left her in it twice recently she went into the kennel fine and cam out both times with her leg held up. I figure that she either sits in it too long in one position or she just stiffens up. Either we were are trying to do the best we can.

She seems a bit calmer today and is enjoying the bedroom better. We have the baby gate across the doorway plus two chairs in front of that.

Since we have a tv in the bedroom if anyone wants to watch tv they are now in the bedroom with Emma while they watch.

Thanks for your ideas if we still run into troubles we will look into it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lab13
    ChowHound - The reason we aren't crating her most of the time is becuase I think she stiffens up in the crate. When we have left her in it twice recently she went into the kennel fine and cam out both times with her leg held up. I figure that she either sits in it too long in one position or she just stiffens up. Either we were are trying to do the best we can.

She seems a bit calmer today and is enjoying the bedroom better. We have the baby gate across the doorway plus two chairs in front of that.

Since we have a tv in the bedroom if anyone wants to watch tv they are now in the bedroom with Emma while they watch.

Thanks for your ideas if we still run into troubles we will look into it.
    Gotcha! Well it sounds like you've got it all worked out. Hope she heals quickly (and that too much daytime tv doesn't drive her to drink!) :-) Good luck!
    <br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~