Grain-Free Kibble Food?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grain-Free Kibble Food?

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

DefaultGrain-Free Kibble Food?

Can I get a list of the grain-free kibble food of the top recommended brands?

What is the reason that grain is a source of contention?

Thanks,

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Grain-Free Kibble Food?

Allergies in dogs are usually caused by grains, and they are also a cheap filler for companies to put in their foods. I have fed both grain free and grain filled with great results.

We have fed Orijen for four months and are quite happy with the results.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Another hand for Orijen here!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

LIST OF GRAIN-FREE FOODS. I feed Wellness Core.
    <br />Oregon

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I feed Shane Canidae All Life Stages. From what I've read, every dog is different, there is no one dog food that will work well on all dogs.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice.
    I have read the ingredients in Orijen and some of the other puppy non-grain feed and it has a high protein content, 32%-42%. I have also read that this seems high. Any thoughts here? I am looking to do more research so my questions are not so fundamentally undeveloped, sorry for the lack of preparation on my part.

www.ecboardco.com

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Grain-free is usually more nutrient dense as well, which means you can feed less.

I have one dog on it (Orijen!) who's doing fantastic, but my lab puppy couldn't handle it at all. He's very very sensitive as far as his calorie intake goes, so I just don't think he could process the density of it. He seems to need a little "filler" to dilute it a bit. :

As a side note, I started my cats on Orijen a few months ago as well, and their coats have never looked better. Quite unbelievably, the allergies that my one cat has struggled with all her life (she was diagnosed as being allergic to dust) are GONE. They are GONE, she has gone from being heavily medicated with steroids to not needing them at all. I am beyond thrilled!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    I have read the ingredients in Orijen and some of the other puppy non-grain feed and it has a high protein content, 32%-42%. I have also read that this seems high. Any thoughts here? I am looking to do more research so my questions are not so fundamentally undeveloped, sorry for the lack of preparation on my part.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....e=protein_myth
    <br />Oregon

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

How old is your dog? From what I could find, Orijen was the only grain free that offered puppy. My breeder (who was okay with me switching, always check there first) recommends puppy regular, not puppy large, and until 9 to 12 months, so that is what we are doing (Orijen puppy regular, I'll switch to adult at 9-12 months). Jonah has been on it for 3 months, and doing great on it! You will find many articles stating that the high protein is bad, but then many more recent ones stating that it isn't (sorry I'm not prepared with the research now, I did a lot of googling when I was looking into it, but didn't save anything). I'm sure someone else may have some articles handy (I think someone even posted some here one time, so maybe do a search of old posts).

The food roller coaster is definitely not a fun one! There are some dogs that do great on some food, while others do terrible on the same food. We tried Wellness puppy first (trying to get higher quality, but couldn't find a local puppy grain free). Didn't have luck with that. Found a store that is ordering the Puppy orijen just for me; he orders the bags from his distributer (he does carry the adult Orijens as well as many other grain free) and keeps it behind his counter until I go in to pick it up. What is your dog on now?

<br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    Thanks for the advice.
    As kiddsmom appropriately pointed out, protein is of no concern - unless you're providing too little. What you need to be concerned with are the total number of calories and the amount of calcium. Some grain-free kibbles (like EVO) are completely inappropriate for puppies. I would discuss this with your breeder and/or veterinarian to decide which food is appropriate.

Why is grain contentious? Because it's been around so long. That explains it on two fronts. First, there will always be those who challenge the status quo. Two, the status quo doesn't work for some dogs. Due to grains being fed for so long - dogs typically develop allergies to grains (beef and dairy as well).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast