Bad Breath
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Breath

Coles~Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultBad Breath

Hi all, need help with a question about my Cole. He's a 6 year old black male in very good health.

Cole has always had excellent teeth. I usually give him frozen raw marrow bones every few weeks or so to help with teeth cleaning and the vets always remark about them. He's never needed a dental.

In late September, he got a staph infection in his ears which cleared up with topical and oral antibiotics. Ears have been fine since. However, he has had the absolute WORST breath since then. It's like a cross between ass, fish, and feet. :-X

I took a look in his mouth and cannot find any evidence of a bad tooth or something that's abscessed or anything. He has some tartar on his back teeth but nothing major. I've had a lot of trouble finding the marrow bones the past couple months and so I've given him some pigskin a few times, but his breath is not improving. None of those breath freshening treats work either.

Any thoughts? He's eating Eagle Pack Original and has been for almost two years now.

TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bad Breath

Have you checked the tongue and gums and under the tongue? Will he let you brush his teeth? That's the only thing that helps Jake's breath, is my staying diligent about brushing (nightly at least). We use a vanilla-mint flavored dog toothpaste that lasts at least a little while.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Since the problem started after antibiotics I would suggest that you give your dog probiotics to put back some of the good bacteria into his digestive system. Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria, so it's important to give probiotics after the course of treatment is finished.

One of my girls gets really, really bad breath when she eats a chicken based food. Her breath smells like there is something dead and rotten in her stomach. Blech. She's better on a lamb based food, so if the probiotics don't work for you you may consider switching to another Eagle Pack food with a different protein source.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! Yes have checked the gums and stuff, nothing wrong there. Susan, probiotics are a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. What's a good one, or should I just give him some plain yogurt in his food for awhile? What about that Dannon Activa stuff?

Suegene is offline Senior Member

I am very curious to hear what is a good probiotic too as Cooper has the same issue - perfect teeth and gums (they have been checked by vet who was amazed at how good they look). The smell really IS from deeper inside. Doesnt matter what food - he is currently on Canidae (which we are switching off of, it is doing nothing but making the whole anal gland situation worse, IMO), but it was the same on a fish based food too.

My holistic vet suggests using a refrigerated probiotic, I buy mine from a local holistic type grocery store. I actually buy a children's probiotic, called Florabears, which is an orange flavored chewable tablet that my dogs think is a treat.

I also often feed a probiotic/digestive enzyme powder called BacPak Plus. It is sold by the same people that sell Nzymes.

Susan, how often do you give it to them, when you notice bad breath or do they get it all the time? Can you stop giving it once you replenish the bacteria in the gut (assuming that when bad breath goes away, that's what's happened)?

Thanks!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I use a refrigerated probiotic as well. I get mine from an organic grocery store. It comes in a powder form that just gets sprinkled on his food in the morning. I got the one the lady at the store suggested (she said she uses it with her dog as well!). Brand name is HMF powder. It isn't cheap, but it's made a big difference for him. (We were having issues with diarrhea).
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I feed probiotics daily. I use the BacPak powder on kibble meals (sometimes I feed raw, too) and I give FloraBears daily or whenever I think about it. When the dogs get FloraBears my husband and I take them too.

It is my feeling that with all of the environmental pollutants and stresses that we are all subject to that daily probiotic use is a good idea. It's one of those "can't hurt, might help" kind of things.

Suegene is offline Senior Member

Cooper was on antibiotics in the summer, so maybe his system is all screwed up. Probably not a bad idea to start him on something. I will check out the local health food store offerings - otherwise I am going to try the doggy one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast