Anti-diarrheal?

Thread: Anti-diarrheal?

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnti-diarrheal?

Can dogs get over the counter people anti-diarrheal like Imodiam AD or anything? Jonah had it bad from Sunday night to Monday. I fasted him for 24 hours, then gave him a can of Hills ID diet I had from last time for breakfast this a.m. He did okay after that one, nothing all day and he seemed fine even having a small but semi formed poop, so I stupidly gave him his regular kibble for dinner (although a lesser amount than normal). He had another bout of the diarrhea just now, but not near as bad as it was yesterday (I could get real descriptive here, but I think you've already heard more than you probably want!). I feel pretty sure this is stemming from deli meat (all natural turkey) that I gave him late Sunday afternoon. We had a few pieces left after making our sandwiches, so I let him finish it off.
    I'm just wondering if I can or should give him anything to help it harden up?
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anti-diarrheal?

I know you can use pepto in a pinch. BUT, canned pumpkin works really well too. (not pie filling, 100% pumpkin stuff)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I did give him pumpkin this a.m. with his food. We had some organic pure pumpkin hubby was going to make pumpkin bread with in the pantry (so he got the good stuff!). I forgot this evening with his food until I just read your post, Kate. :P Off to give him pumpkin now, thanks! I should have also asked if it is okay to give over the counter stuff, do I just give based on his weight or something like a little less than 1/2 of an adult dose? I'm guessing he weighs around 50 pounds (I could be way off; I'm comparing him to how he feels picking up compared to my kids, haven't weighed him since October).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Most vets prefer Imodium to Pepto.
    <br />Oregon

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I've never actually used it, so I don't know what the dosage would be..... :-[

It's gotta be on the internet somewhere....
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Yep...I use Imodium and usually use the child dosage. I actually carry it with me in the car .... ever since the time Zoe had explosive poo in the backseat after eating acorns at my grandmothers. :-\

TobyBlackKenobi is offline Senior Member

I have the "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" and it says to use pepto-bismol 0.5-1.5mL per pound orally every 12 hours.
    But I always try the pumpkin first.
    Toby&#039;s Mom<br />California Central Coast<br /><br />

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't think the deli meat would still be bothering him 2 days later, especially since you gave his system a break by fasting him for 24 hours.

Have you considered taking a stool sample to be checked?

If there is an issue there its best to find it than to cover it up with meds or pumpkin.

JMO

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I've never actually used it, so I don't know what the dosage would be..... :-[

It's gotta be on the internet somewhere....
    I gave Mick one Immodium AD. I seem to remember giving it twice a day. However, as someone else I found 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin worked much better. Usually one serving of that cleared everything up.

Thanks for the tips! Jonah's poop last night was finally normally again. I didn't end up giving anything other than the pumpkin (hubby didn't bring home the medicine from work like he was supposed to, and by the time he got home, it was too late to go to the store). I didn't take fecal a sample in because I felt pretty sure it was the deli meat. The timing was too perfect (he had it approx 8-12 hours before it started). He was acting fine otherwise, and other than the first day, it seemed to harden up a little and lessen up a little each time he went, I was just thinking the medicine might help him get back to normal a little quicker. But it seems to have worked itself through! The last time (when we first got him) he had diarrhea it lasted over a week, we went back to the vet 2 times for fecal samples and fluids, she came by our house one day and got another sample, nothing ever showed up. It just took that long to work through him. He must just have a sensitive tummy!