omega 3 fish oil

Thread: omega 3 fish oil

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Defaultomega 3 fish oil

I was reading a link I cant find now but I had my own questions anyhow. It was on the dogs nails, Bogeys seem to crack off and I read that the fish oil will help that. I do trim them regularly but not too short cause they are dark and I dont want to hurt him.

But it will help the itchies too? And help his coat? He does have a little dry skin down his back, and hes always scrathing at his neck. No fleas or anything out of the ordinary not even red patches. I think he just wants his collar off .

I bought Spring Vally Omega 3 fish oil
    1000 MG
    EPA 180
    DHA 120

Are these ok? And they are the soft gels so do you give him a capsule or do you puncture it and squirt it onto his food?
    Thanks!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: omega 3 fish oil

This is what I give to Mocha and Zeus
    http://www.amazon.com/Vita-Derm-Scra...6363271&sr=1-3
    I just put a little on their food they love it and have nice shiny coats.

Most any Fish oil supliment will work though. If your dogs will eat the capsul then just put it in their food if not then break them and put it over the food.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

tkpaul is offline Senior Member

Those are what I give my dogs. I just give them one as a treat each time I feed (2x a day). Mine just gobble them down and never think twice. I first thought about squeazing it on their food but it got too messy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tkpaul
    Those are what I give my dogs. I just give them one as a treat each time I feed (2x a day). Mine just gobble them down and never think twice. I first thought about squeazing it on their food but it got too messy.
    So you give them 2 a day? That would be 2000MG? Just curious never gave a dog fish oil before.

Yes, I give two a day, one with each feeding.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Please be sure your fish oil supplement contain vitamin E. If it doesn't you must supplement with E. 200-400 units is good. If you are giving 2 fish oil daily, 1 dose of E (especially at 400 ui) should be enough.

Otherwise you can end up with a defficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    Please be sure your fish oil supplement contain vitamin E. If it doesn't you must supplement with E. 200-400 units is good. If you are giving 2 fish oil daily, 1 dose of E (especially at 400 ui) should be enough.

Otherwise you can end up with a defficiency.
    It would say on the bottle if it did contain it right? Mine doesnt,ingredients: Fish oil concentrate(anchovy,mackeral,sardine) gelatin, glycerin, d-sorbitol,d-alpha tocopherol (soy).

And Im only going to start with one a day for now morning feed, just till he gets used to it. What would you recommend 200 or 400 mg. Well i guess if Im only giving one now 200mg would be enough right? Then when he starts to take 2 a day up it to 400mg? Sorry lots of ?s i know but I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Hi, I'd also break the capsule open. Dogs digest quicker than humans and the capsules would just pass through. The fish oil I use comes in a pump bottle, the vitamin E capsule gets opened and squeezed onto food.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

No need to rupture the capsule. The acidity in a dogs stomach will dissolve the gelatin capsule quickly. Their stomachs are more acidic than ours.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkpaul
    No need to rupture the capsule. The acidity in a dogs stomach will dissolve the gelatin capsule quickly. Their stomachs are more acidic than ours.
    Thanks, I didn't know that. Now, I don't have to worry about puncturing my finger trying to open the Vitamin E caplet.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)