And Yet Another Poop Question

Thread: And Yet Another Poop Question

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnd Yet Another Poop Question

I tried to do a search on this in here but haven't found any answers so I thought I'd ask you guys. Breezy usually poops on our walks, and usually it's one good sized poop. For the past few days though, she'll stop to poop, and then after pooping will move to another spot and poop again, and then move to another spot and TRY to poop again. The first poop is normal-looking. Then the next one will be a bit softer. And then I am noticing that if she tries a third time usually she is just straining and nothing comes out. I am not seeing any blood in her stool. She is going through her first heat cycle, and I'm wondering could that have anything to do with her poop issues? She is eating like normal, and seems to be acting normal. This doesn't happen EVERY time she has to poop, but probably once a day for about the past 3 days. I'll probably call the vet tomorrow, but thought I'd also ask what you guys think this might sound like?
    The straining part bothers me. She usually doesn't do that. Thanks is advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: And Yet Another Poop Question

The first poop is normal-looking. Then the next one will be a bit softer. And then I am noticing that if she tries a third time usually she is just straining and nothing comes out.
    Puff sometimes does this.

On our early morning offleash walks, she poops pretty soon after getting out of the car and the first stool or turd she produces is "normal" looking -- fairly dry, well-formed, easy to pick up. The more she produces after that are progressively softer, wetter, less "well formed."

I've just always thought that those produced after the first one had less "time in the oven" and weren't as fully done.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

M Fortune is offline Senior Member

Lula has the same regimen. We use the same "time in the oven" explanation as Bob Pr.
    ~Heather<br /><br />&quot;This whole world is wild at heart and weird on top&quot;

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If this continues you can give about 1/4 to 1/2 tspn of metamucil in food.

This was recommended to me by my vet and worked well for my girl.