Ugh.... Henery has diarrhea... again. *sigh*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh.... Henery has diarrhea... again. *sigh*

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultUgh.... Henery has diarrhea... again. *sigh*

This can't be normal. The poor boy has never had solid poops (except when he ate raw) on kibble, despite the type, and now home-cooked, he has had chronic soft poops. Formed, mind you, I can pick them up, but no logs.

He had a bout of explosive diarrhea about a month ago (which we attributed to his lepto vaccine 2 days earlier) but he's got it again today. Nothing has changed, same food, same treats, same everything... :-[

I'm pretty sure he hasn't gotten into anything he shouldn't have either...

So when does this become something to investigate further??
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ugh.... Henery has diarrhea... again. *sigh*

Sorry to hear about poor Henery. Have you tried giving him some cannned pumpkin? I hope he gets better soon.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

brody is offline Senior Member

awww

believe me when I say I empathize not just sympathize

is it possible its stress?

my beast Sally paw painted my house in one of the worst bouts of diarrhea I've seen last week ... while has beacoup de issues all I can attribute that one to is stress

I have to home cook for Sally - no if ands or buts - what do you currently feed him?

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Well crap. :-\ (pardon the pun..... hee hee hee...)

How long did the vet say to leave him on the homecooked last time he had "issues"... (I think I remember you were gonna ask......? could be wrong....)

Baloo has had sporadic diarrhea, as you know. I cut out the wellness pure rewards a few weeks ago and haven't had any issues since.

Poor Henery. I hope his tummy feels better soon!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks guys. :-\

Conrad, I've been homecooking for him for almost 2 months now. He was having the WORST environmental allergies this fall, licking and biting his legs and paws until almost all the fur was gone. I didn't want to just put him on steroids, so we found our holistic vet, and he suggested a homecooked diet for Henry.

Each meal he eats: 4 oz cooked ground turkey, 2 oz beef heart, 1/4 cup barley, 1/4 cup peas & carrots, 1/2 egg, 1/2 apple and his supplements (oils, vitamin/mineral mix, Cosequin, acidophilus capsule).

What do you feed Sally?

Kate, I made an appt with our vet for Dec 10th (exactly 2 months on homecooked)... last time he had issues, she said to wait it out another month before making any decisions. She wanted the enviornmental allergens to be gone before we start playing with his food again. :-\

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Sally is so intolerant of beef that she couldn't cope with H.'s diet at all - she'd be a wreck.... just .25 ounce of beef liver had her spewing from both ends within 4 hours

Her base diet consists of chicken and sweet potato - chicken is mainly dark meat with a little gizzards and heart and liver thrown in ; sweet potato is baked in the microwave - she does not tolerate barley or rice in any kind of quantity although a little of either in a treat is ok.. she gets too many supplements to my mind but every time I start trying to find a natural food based way to get the same stuff into her we have problems - she can tolerate a little egg, does well with mackeral, pumpkin and yogurt work in her Kongs in small amounts ....

if I were facing H I'd talk to the vet about reducing H's diet to 2 items ... in his case chicken and barley if you were SURE he was ok with both - otherwise I'd try a totally novel elimination diet ..one protein source and one carb source he hasn't had at all before

its so frustrating when it isn't working

hang in there

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Frustrating indeed.

I had thought that Henry might have had issues when he ate raw turkey, and mentioned this to Holistic Vet and he said something about it being different because it's cooked??

If you think he reacted to turkey AT ALL there is NO WAY I'd feed it - cooked or raw.. and if there are flare ups with cooked that would be my first suspicion too

ground meat is actually pretty unregulated in Ontario too - I like using it as its easy but try to school myself to do a bit more work

while chicken is different to turkey I'd actually generally stay away from it as well...it just makes sense to me that poultry is poultry

perhaps beef would work as a base, or lamb, or even pork (tho thats very fatty so many dogs have trouble with it)

Turkey as a culprit was the first thing I thought of. :-\

I'm not a big fan of using ground anything... you just never know.

When/how do you know if this goes beyond being a food issue and more like something along the lines of leaky gut syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome?

I'd try a couple of lengthy stretches on a diet I thought would work (like 2 months + each) unless there was a crisis - if there were a major crisis obviously I'd go the biopsy ultrasound route...

a definative diagnosis can be useful but often the solution is the same - no matter the route cause so I (very personal thing here) generally chose to work in a solution based fashion

Sally was so young and so sick it wasn't really safe to test her - by the time I figured out what worked and built her condition things were mainly under control and I really didn't want to rock the boat again

I really would consider cutting his diet back to two ingredients (not turkey) til things settle ...I belong to a yahoo group - k9 kitchen which I partly credit Sally making it through last fall too

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast