required vacinations?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: required vacinations?

tangelo53 is offline Senior Member

Defaultrequired vacinations?

Hello- I am a little confused now about what vacinations are actually required. My main vet requires the rabies (3 yrs), bordatella, distemper, parvo, lepto (which is now included in one of the previous vacinations I mentioned...I just can't remember which one). However, since I have 3 dogs, I have a vet that comes to my house to give vacinations since it is much easier than loading up three 90 pound dogs. This particular vet doesn't believe in annual shots at all... really only keeping up with the rabies vacination... what have your vets recommended or what have you read about this? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: required vacinations?

I give my dogs the 5-1 shots. No lepto in the combination shot. No bordatella. No corona. Rabies of course.

I run my puppies through a normal puppy cycle (with the 5-1 shots), then booster at 1 year. Then they get the booster every 3 years. They do NOT need yearly shots.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/vaccine-protocols.html

Laura

Thanks for the information...why don't the vets know this, ya know?? maybe I need to switch vets...sounds like they are trying to get a little extra money from me each year!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I give my dogs the 5-1 shots. No lepto in the combination shot. No bordatella. No corona. Rabies of course.

I run my puppies through a normal puppy cycle (with the 5-1 shots), then booster at 1 year. Then they get the booster every 3 years. They do NOT need yearly shots.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/vaccine-protocols.html

Sorry...one more question. What exactly is the 5-1 shot?

labby is offline Senior Member

Canine Distemper-Adenovirus Type 2-Parainfluenza-Parvovirus.

There is no excuse anymore for vets not knowing this.

Laura

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

My guys get a Distemper and Parvo vaccine at 8 weeks and 12 weeks and thats it and that vaccine for I hope the rest of there life. I do titers every now and than to make sure they still have immunity to the vaccine. I do the rabies vaccine first one at 16 weeks and booster one year later thats a 3yrs vaccine that the law were I'm at.

This is my vets plan for all of his clients pets.
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by tangelo53
    Hello- I am a little confused now about what vaccinations are actually required. My main vet requires the rabies (3 yrs), bordatella, distemper, parvo, lepto (which is now included in one of the previous vacinations I mentioned...I just can't remember which one). However, since I have 3 dogs, I have a vet that comes to my house to give vacinations since it is much easier than loading up three 90 pound dogs. This particular vet doesn't believe in annual shots at all... really only keeping up with the rabies vacination... what have your vets recommended or what have you read about this? Thanks!!
    I think I'd find a different vet. Only Rabies is required by law. Many dogs are completely over vaccinated which can lead to a host of health problems the most serious being cancer of course. I pick certain vaccinations for puppies such as distemper, parvo, and rabies. Then I titer test(though I can't do this w/ rabies, but wish I could) if need be. Those are the core diseases that I want my dogs protected from. I haven't followed this schedule exactly the way I've wanted to due to the fact that puppies, rescues, and even shelter dogs all receive vaccinations before you adopt the dog. I do not agree w/ giving multiple vaccinations at one time. I also build up the immune system prior to the vaccine and after. After the vaccine I also give thuja. We live in a vaccine happy world. Well vaccines have a time and place they are overused. And most vets who practice general medicine receive most of their income from vaccines so of course they really push them. Holistic vets know better.
    Dealing w/ any doctor(human or animal) I've learned that you often have to do your own research and form your own opinion. It's also good to consult w/ more than one doctor, esp. w/ something such as vaccines. Conventional vets will have one view and holistic vets another. The conventional vets think the holistic ones are crazy and vice versa. Before I found out about titer tests I was told by a vet that there was no way to test a dogs immunity and that giving another shot w/ a booster wouldn't hurt which I believe to have been a lie(and I know the titer testing part was). Of course this was the same vet who I told that my puppy needed a distemper shot and he without my knowledge or consent administered a seven way vaccine(which I later found out from the bill). So now I'm very careful.

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

I have recently done a bunch of reading on this since I just got a pup 5 weeks ago. Gauge is getting a DAP shot (Distemper, Adenovirus-CAV2 and Parvo. I am worried about over-vaccinating as well so I didn't want Gauge having a DHLPP combo. My vet also includes Corona with this shot but I didn't want him having this mainly because it's not a life threatening disease and most pups recover within 3 days on their own. You can read everywhere that the Lepto shot is the one that dogs have the worst reaction to (other than rabies) And with Lepto, it doesn't even last a full year. I will be titering after Gauge's first shot. If successful and he has formed enough antibodies to these diseases...we will be done with all shots other than rabies.

It definitely is a personal decision however I would question any vet that doesn't provide the risks associated with vaccinations. My vet thought I was a little crazy when I wanted to discuss my concerns with vaccinations with him. I think they are used to most people going with flow and letting the vet do his thing. It's easier that way. I have found that it is VERY time consuming and a lot of information to digest when researching this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    Of course this was the same vet who I told that my puppy needed a distemper shot and he without my knowledge or consent administered a seven way vaccine(which I later found out from the bill). So now I'm very careful.
    OMG I would be furious about this.

Thanks. This really makes me upset about the vets that are doing this for money! If something happens to your pet and it is caused by over- vaccinating...I hope people are suing the hell out of these vets. I am not sue-happy, but this is ridiculous that vets (of all people) are taking advantage of people like this. If the vets aren't aware of the dangers of annual vacinnations, then they should have their license revoked!!

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tangelo53
    Thanks. This really makes me upset about the vets that are doing this for money! If something happens to your pet and it is caused by over- vaccinating...I hope people are suing the hell out of these vets. I am not sue-happy, but this is ridiculous that vets (of all people) are taking advantage of people like this. If the vets aren't aware of the dangers of annual vacinnations, then they should have their license revoked!!
    Uh...for what?

Most courts will only award the purchase price of the animal if your animal dies and possibly the cost of the vet visit. Most lawyers cost much more than that. No point.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast