Just Labradors banner

Fly Biting ?

9K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Dukes Mama 
#1 ·
Hello,
We are new here, I posted this question the other night, and it mysteriously disappeared. So I'm not sure if anyone replied. So sorry if you are seeing it again. Anyway we have a 4 yr. old Choc Lab named Duke. Last week he started biting at imaginary bugs. He did it a few times during the day lasting maybe 5-10 seconds. Then he did it again the next day. So I brought he to the vet yesterday and she said it could be behavioral or partial seizures. I hoping it's not seizures. So she looked him over and took blood work. I asked her if his ears looked alright and she said yes, then she said she would get a better look, so he ended up having an ear infection too. Does anyone think that might have anything to do with the fly biting? She called this morning and said his blood work was fine. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

#2 ·
Are you sure the bugs are imaginary.....? ;)

Is he in a sun spot, and snapping at flying dust particles, maybe?

Did the vet check his eyes/eyesight to be sure he's not starting to get shadows or anything like that happening..?

Does he seem out of it when he's doing this? If you call him will he stop and look at you, or does he seem entranced...?

I'd see if it goes away with the ear infection, and if not then go back to the drawing board at that time.

#3 ·
He wasn't in the sunlight, while doing this..The last time he did this I called his name, and he stopped and looked at me, then he did it again, everytime I called his name he would stop..I hope this is behavioral. Hopefully it will stop after the ear infection. That's for responding.

#7 ·
I second Stonemillkennel-
I just read an entire article on Seizures and this is a classic sign of one type.
I just lost my Maggie to a seizure, so I am doing research about this. Don't let it go- it was a horrible thing to have happen to her.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/seizures_overview_cause_treatment.htm
"A complex partial seizure will originate in the area of the brain that controls behavior and is sometimes called a psychomotor seizure. During this type of seizure, a dog’s consciousness is altered and he may exhibit bizarre behavior such as unprovoked aggression or extreme irrational fear. He may run uncontrollably, engage in senseless, repetitive behavior or have fly-snapping episodes where he appears to be biting at imaginary flies around his head."

Good Luck,

Doug

#8 ·
Hello,
thanks to everyone for responding. Doug sorry about your loss..
Well Duke hasn't had anymore episodes since before his ear infection. But I'm not convinced the ear infection had anything to do with it. I hope it did, but all the articles online say seizures. Although some say ear infections could cause it. I'll just have to wait and see. have a nice night..

#9 ·
Thank you for your condolence.
If I may offer my unsolicited advice, I would not just wait and see. I think there are some preventive measures for seizures. In turn I would learn all I could regarding them and be fully prepared. Whatever caused this in Maggie was completely out of nowhere and immediate. It was horrible for her, and I would have done anything to prevent this I could. But it struck her again two days later while she was under my vet's care at the clinic while she was on IV treating her liver. I lost her that day. I guess I am like a smoker who has quit and trying to get everyone else around me who smokes to quit- vigilant about it. So I mean no disrespect, nor to scare you unjustifiably. If I could suggest, please speak to your vet and determine what can or cannot be done now.

Peace be to all our Labs, living w/ us and given back to God.

Best,

Doug

#11 ·
Nicole,
I think your vet has a sound idea. I am not sure what else there is to do, other than ask if what, if any preventative measures you can take. I think I sent you the link to read up on seizures. If not post back and I will find it for you.
As for the liver issue, I don't know. We did an ultrasound and nothing was present, I was actually present during the exam speaking w/ the doctor during the exam. Something attacked it, only doing an autopsy would have been definitive, but that was not an option, I would not do that to her. I only know her enzyme level was 9 times the normal level. Losing her so unexpectedly and in the manner is why I am so vigilant, it was horrible for her. So I only write what I do to prevent it from happening to any dog/owner I ever have an opportunity to warn. I wish you all the best and hopefully it was an odd occurrence.
And note that I am only trying to raise awareness if someone is unknowing, not frighten you or anyone. The best approach is being knowlegeable and aware of our options. Duke probably had a rare occurrence and he is going to be just fine :) . Just wanted you to be aware if you were not.

Best,

Doug

#12 ·
Good morning Doug,
My vet also said giving him plenty of exercise and try a buster ball, to keep him busy. (I have to get one.) I hope he will be okay. He's like a child to me..I did go to the link on seizures. I googled partial seizures too. The info is scary. Hopefully he won't have anymore episodes. have a nice day..Nicole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.