Puppy food to adult food? Did my research and still have a few ?'s
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy food to adult food? Did my research and still have a few ?'s

DefaultPuppy food to adult food? Did my research and still have a few ?'s

I know this is a pretty redundant topic, but I've found some conflicting advise and would like to try to get a better idea on switching from puppy to adult food.

Lula will be 1 year old in a couple of days. She has been on Solid Gold LB puppy since about 3 months of age. Here are my questions:

1. When do I switch? I have read anywhere from 6 mo to 18 mo. Should I just shoot for the median and switch now?

2. She has dealt with weight issues since her spay at 6 mo. Will being on adult food help or hurt? Or, will there be a difference at all?

3. I'm going to stick with the Solid Gold brand as she has done really well on it. The formula for her puppy food is salmon and bison. The only other Solid Gold food with this combo is the LB adult. I have seen posts from members that feel that LB adult food is unnecessary. I do agree with the posters that have this opinion. However, is there any reason (medical, etc.) other than it just being a gimmick not to feed LB adult food. Only reason is I would like her to stay on the salmon and bison formula.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy food to adult food? Did my research and still have a few ?'s

personally and due to my research on the matter - i would recommend waiting to 14-18 months to switch.

also, feeding adult food will not cause weight gain or lose - but calories will. If you are feeding food now that is 400 calories/cup and feed 3 cups /day =1200 calories and you switch to adult food at 500 calories/cup and still feed 3 cups/day then YES, your dog will gain weight, because you are all of sudden upping the caloric intake from 1200-1500 (a huge jump. ake sense? You just need to adjust the amount you feed, based on calories when you choose the new food.

also, feeding adult food will not cause weight gain or lose - but calories will. If you are feeding food now that is 400 calories/cup and feed 3 cups /day =1200 calories and you switch to adult food at 500 calories/cup and still feed 3 cups/day then YES, your dog will gain weight, because you are all of sudden upping the caloric intake from 1200-1500 (a huge jump. ake sense? You just need to adjust the amount you feed, based on calories when you choose the new food.
    Thank you for explaining that to me. That makes sense.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo's been on all-life-stages food since he started eating food, and no issues here with unsteady, rapid growth.

I think you can switch. Puppy food tends to be higher in fat and calories, so if she's having weight issues, I'd switch her now.

If she's doing well on that formula, I'd stick with it. Having done the food "rollercoaster" myself not so long ago with Baloo, I'm clinging tight to the food we've found that works for him. I won't even THINK of changing it for a long time, I am NOT going through that again. So basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Having said that, make sure you have a look at the calcium/phosphorus levels in the food as well, as Lula is still growing a bit. You want them to be on the low side, calcium <1.2 (ish) and phosphorus <1.0 (ish.)

(and make sure you add a chicken tender every now and then) ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

There are some on this JL forum who recommend never feeding LB puppy food, some who do feed puppy or LB puppy and recommend switching to adult at 3 mos, some at 6 mos, some at 9 mos, some at 12 months, and some when full maturity is reached.

My reading of the scientific canine nutritional studies favors the feeding of Labs a LB Puppy food for the first 12 months or until adult maturity is reached.

I think the "LB Adult" is a gimmick but one that probably doesn't hurt anything but a wallet.

gerst001's comments on kcalories is right on.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm getting a clearer picture now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    (and make sure you add a chicken tender every now and then) ;D
    OMG, what have I done!!! ??? After my cute little chicken tender photo shoot, I can't put anything in the oven without that dudley nose having to inspect. Then she sits by the oven waiting and waiting and... : Although she is politely waiting she is still just waiting and waiting and...

Thanksgiving will be interesting.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Yep...I am a one of those people who switch to adult at 5 months of age. Puppy food tends to be higher in calories (that is why they feed it to nursing bitches), and I don't want to continue with rich food...even though I do watch kcals.

It's your choice really.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I know several people switch to adult foods early, but there's a difference between an adult food that is formulated for maintenance and an adult food formulated for all life stages. The former is not at all appropriate for a growing pup, the latter can be. You'll still need to watch out for calcium.

Generally, the studies that Bob references tend to illustrate that protein has no effect on growth as once was thought (unless you don't feed enough, and then it does - and you run into that sometimes with these adult foods formulated for maintenance). Calcium and the total amount of calories fed are the biggest problems for puppies, so that's why a general recommendation for LB Puppy foods exist. However, you can also find adult foods that fall within the proper ranges of calcium.

This website shows the difference in requirements for a puppy food v. adult food. Those adult foods formulated for all life stages are basically formulated like a puppy food, though they typically have fewer calories that a pure puppy food.
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=662

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Dani said
    Yep...I am a one of those people who switch to adult at 5 months of age. Puppy food tends to be higher in calories (that is why they feed it to nursing bitches), and I don't want to continue with rich food...even though I do watch kcals.
    Oh!! I didn't know that was one of the reasons people did that. Thanks!!

Puppies start off needing about 2X the amount of food energy (kcals) that an adult dog of the same weight would need and that multiplier gradually descends to 1X as the dog stops growing at adulthood.

My Puff went from eating about 1 cup/day at 6lbs/9 weeks age to 5 cups/day at about 6-7 months (40-45 lbs.). Then she stopped eating entirely for a couple days. When she resumed she ate less -- say around 4 cups/day. We went through several similar phases until she reached her present 2 1/2 cups/day.

But Puff is one of those rare (<15%), "mutant" Labs which self-regulate the amount of their food intake.

Q: So, for "normal" (>85%) Labs, many people of those who advocate switching to adult food at the earlier ages are doing so mainly to regulate the amount of kcals their pups are getting in that way rather than just by reducing the amount of food they give?

==============================
    Nick's post (above) came in shortly before mine and before I had a chance to read it. I agree with his points 100%
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

You'll still need to watch out for calcium.
    I should have stated that I am aware of the calcium/phosphorus issues (thanks to JL ). That's why I'm trying to figure out at what point to switch. I guess it really varies from pup to pup.

Let me rephrase my question: Should I wait until I'm sure she's not still growing? Or, is there a point where she's done the majority of her growth and the extra calcium/phosphorus will not be harmful? I'm leaning towards being safer than sorry and waiting a few more months.

My biggest concern was if it was safe to switch now to get less calories. But, gerst001's post cleared up the calorie mystery for me. As far as the weight is concerned, I am maintaining a good weight on her but I'm giving her about half the recommended serving of the food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast