Conjunctivitis???/

Thread: Conjunctivitis???/

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultConjunctivitis???/

Background:

Yesterday around noon, HK had some green goop, like morning sleep goop but green, coming out of one eye. Wiped it off, off done.

Noticed it back again around dinner time, this time lining the whole lower edge of her eye. Starting to think, but wipe and done.

This morning a little, not much, by noon I had wiped several times. Called the vet. Appt at 4, both eyes now and present for vet to see.

Vet examines, washed, dies, no foreign objects or scratches, says conjunctivitis. Gave me drops for the next seven days.

Question:

Forgot to ask (new vet and we talked about everything under the sun including HK NOT TUBBY! I like this vet.) if she was contagious, to dogs, to people. Our 16 month old granddaughter is due over to spend the day Wednesday. Grandma tells me conjunctivitis in humans is very contagious. HK loves to kisses granddaughter.

Do we need to keep HK spearated from granddaughter?
    Should we reschedule day with grandma and grandpa?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Conjunctivitis???/

Ed,

YES! She is very contagious, to both dogs and people. Conjunctivitis in people is generally referred to as "pink eye" and is not pleasant. :-\

So no playtime for HK until she's all better.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

georgie is offline Senior Member

My girls had that a few months ago. Abby started it & we took her to the emergency vet's (weekend of course) Vet said it is not contagious.

Being a nurse, I know not all conjunctivits is contagious. Some viral, some bacterial. Hard for doctor's to tell.

So three days later, Molly gets it. We take her to our regular vet. She says...maybe the ER vets thought it was bacterial. But obviously it's contagious. :

I honestly don't know if humans can catch it from dogs. Maybe ask your doctor.
    Just keep washing your hands...that helps stop the spread & no close contact.
    Sorry HK...no smooches for a few days. Also, in humans, after 24 hours , if there is no drainage, then people can return to work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks again! We decided to not chance getting the baby sick. Now, as far as no smoches for HK. I don't take as good care of myself. HK gets smooches and if I get pink eye, too bad for me. The goop is much less today already. She hates having me put the stff in her eye. I wish it were drops instead of this goo. I have worked with her, it didn't take long, on teeth brushing. She doesn't run away, in fact when she sees the brush and paste come out, she goes to sit in the toothbrushing place. I don't know what they flavor it with, but she likes it. This eye stuff, I have to back her into a corner so she can't slip out of my grip that way, and I only have to manage a frontal excape.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MY son has had two bouts of pink eye in the last month. My dog did not get it. That being said, the doctor said, once you give the drops for 24 hours, they are no longer contagious. So in 24 hours from now, you dog is no longer contagious. It is only highly contagious when not being treated.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC