Hives!!

Thread: Hives!!

DefaultHives!!

Hello-- yesterday afternoon, my year old lab broke out in hives all over her face. We called the vet, and they recommended that we give her benadryl. If the swelling didn't go down after 4 hours, to repeat the dose. Well-- the benadryl didn't do anything except knock her out. Her head completely swelled, and her eyes became so swollen she could barely see. This morning we woke up to find that she had vomited all in her crate. I think her poor stomach couldn't handle the medicine.

She's never had an allergic reaction before, and we haven't changed anything at all-- it's the same food she's always eaten, the same bedding she's always slept on, the same yard she's always played in....

I don't know how to stop the reaction. The vet just keeps saying Benadryl. Is there anything else we can do??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hives!!

Get in to a different vetSTAT - if the benadryl isn't touching it, and it's getting worse, you could, potentially lose your dog due to airway restrictions. Grrrr, some vet's make me soooo mad.........

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Forgot to say that I hope you doggie can get some relief. If you hit Lab Chat, you'll see where Megan's Guthrie had bad bad bad bad hives from something. He was really ill the poor little guy.

My Abby also had hives 2 years ago, all over her body and her face. Benadryl didn't touch hers, a trip to the vet and a shot and some prescription drugs did though.

Please go see a different vet. I'd hate anything to happen to your lab.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Get thee to the vet, please!!! Like TF said; a different vet!

Thanks! I did take her to the vet last night-- and after a thorough examination, we found what looked like a bee sting under her lip. So-- looks like my girl tried to make a meal out of a bee, and it bit her back. At least now we know what caused the tremendous swelling and the hives. I'd never seen anything like it before in my life. She looks 100% better now, after a shot of steroids, and a larger dose of Benadryl to match her weight.

Thanks for the advice!!!

I'm glad she's feeling better several others have had similar reactions on here it can be life threatening if the swelling closes their air way so it's best to get them to the vet.

I'm glad she's feeling better, and you now know what the cause of it was. Silly bee eaters!!

Great that she is feeling better now, and you could find out what caused it.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Okay! You have a dog that had a reaction to a bee sting. I would love to hear what anyone else has to say.

I have been stung 4 times in my life.
    1. Sore, swollen, two weeks, slow elimination of the problem
    2. Sore, swollen fore arm, spread to upper arm and hand, couldn't see anything that looked like a knuckle, couldn't close hand. Urgent care, IV, meds for two weeks.
    3. Other arm. Swelling to reach previous time took less than an hour, same routine. Only this time I get a lecture. Carry an epi pen and read the instruction before I need it.
    4. Working in the garden, stung in the back of the neck. Couldn't get myself inside to the epi pen. Fortunately had cell phone with me to call wife in the house.

Message I am trying to convey, if dogs, once determined to be sensitive, are stung. GET THEM TO A VET NOW! I don't knwo if the same holds true fro dogs as humans, but I will let the vet tell me that when I arrive by driving right in to the waiting room.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.