Weight Loss

Thread: Weight Loss

DefaultWeight Loss

Hello all,

Well my girlfriend and I have been looking for a lab for over a year now, and finally have an opportunity to get one. There are two English labs around 2 years old that need a home. They both seem to be excellent dogs and I would love to take both, but, we can only take one. Now the problem is that the female is overweight by probably around 40 pounds. We go to school in Vermont so hiking and up hill walking is an everyday thing. I love both the dogs but would rather the male just because he is in shape and will be able to keep up with us. Problem is the woman's son might take one too, and he also wants the male. Would it be a bad idea to take the female and try to help her loose the weight? We live upstairs so I'm concerned her weight will hurt her hips with all the up hill walking and stairs. Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Weight Loss

Where are you getting a dog from that it is 40lbs overweight? That would be one huge labrador.

I would reconsider adopting from someone who's dogs were that huge. You don't know what is going on from a thyroid/joint standpoint.

I seriously can't even picture that.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Yah I would be wary of that, there are many health problems that can lead to obesity, you can't really know if it's just overfeeding that's causing the condition or if it's a pre-existing health issue.

She would also need to have her exercise gradually increased, she wouldn't be able to keep up right away, maybe not for months, even.

Although depending on what you feel that you're ready to take on, she could make a great pet in the long run. She needs a home somewhere, right?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well she might not be 40 pounds over, but shes big. The woman said when she feeds the two of them, she tries to eat the males food. So she has to feed them separately. But obviously the original owner didn't care enough to do this, and we think that is why shes so overweight. They are both such loving dogs that i feel obligated to take one and give it a good home. Hopefully i can get the male who is already in shape and will be able to keep up.

thanks for the replies