Odd smell/wetness

Thread: Odd smell/wetness

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultOdd smell/wetness

First off - what does secretion from the anal glands smell like? I read putrid but that doesn't really help!

Rocky left a big wet spot on the couch this week and to be honest, it's not the first time the couch smell like this. It's sweet and strong. NOTHING like urine (no acidity I think it is in urine). Sweet is all I can come up with. What on earth could it be? his crate is starting to smell of it as well.

The thought did cross my mind that he could have just licked the spot but it wouldn't seem that "licking" would leave such a smell.

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Odd smell/wetness

Repulsive comes to mind. Kind of like dead fish...
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Yeah it is pretty gross smell, that can't be what you smell.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Could it be that he gets into something without you knowing and simply vomits a bit? Saba must have done that one time and brought up a bit on the carpet (I noticed it an hour later) and it didn't really have any offensive smell at all.
    Just a thought.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Maddy sometimes gets a wierd butt smell, it's not pleasant, but I wouldn't consider the smell repulsive either. I have wondered if it was anal gland related, though she has never had problems, and when I do smell this particular smell, it is usually where she laid and I might notice it a day or two and then it's gone again. Very odd.

my pup occasionally leaves his dog bed VERY wet from licking...the smell is not that bad though.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I would agree with the "fishy" odor coming from anal glands. I personally don't like the smell at all- Ick. It isn't terrible in dogs/cats with healthy anal glands...if there is an infection, it gets much worse. :-X

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon