High PH in Urine

Thread: High PH in Urine

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHigh PH in Urine

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I took a urine sample of Buddy's to the vet today. He has dribbled urine a couple times which is unusual for him to do in the house so I thought I should have it checked. Okay - everything was fine with the sample BUT, the PH was over 8.5 and the vet said it should be around 6. He couldn't really tell me why it was so high. He said to bring another sample in about a week, week and a half, and if it's still high, he said we'll have to look at switching foods. He asked what we feed Bud and when I said Canidae, he said he'd never heard of it! He said we should feed a "high quality" food like SCIENCE DIET (!!), Eukanuba or Proplan. Well, I'm sure Canidae is better than SD, and at least as good as the other two.

Does anyone know what could cause a high PH, and what to do about it? I know if it stays high, Bud could develop crystals and I definitely don't want that!

TIA for any help/advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: High PH in Urine

Have you recently switched to Canidae? In my experience food is directly related to pH. You could try adding some vit C to the dogs diet along with some apple cider vinegar. If you use the ACV use one like Bragg's. Also I have heard that cranberry casules work also but I don't have any experience with those and pH.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I have heard that cranberry capsules work also but I don't have any experience with those and pH.
    I don't have any experience, either, but I give Puff about 1 TB full of "Craisins" every morning. "Craisins" are dehydrated cranberries sweetened with sugar and are sold in Sam's Club, WalMarts, etc. I add about the same amount to my Irish steel cut oatmeal when cooking it every morning. At the time of adding it to my oatmeal, I put a similar amount in Puff's bowl and she gobbles it up.

That could be an alternative means of feeding cranberry essence.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labs4me
    Have you recently switched to Canidae? In my experience food is directly related to pH. You could try adding some vit C to the dogs diet along with some apple cider vinegar. If you use the ACV use one like Bragg's. Also I have heard that cranberry casules work also but I don't have any experience with those and pH.
    We have been feeding Canidae for about 8 months. What is it in the food that would cause the high PH? Yesterday I bought some cranberry softgels, which also contain vit. C and E. I have no idea how many to give him though. I did think about getting some dried cranberries, as I saw them in Walgreens when I got the softgels. Also, how do you give the ACV? I can't imagine the dog would like it, so how do you get them to take it?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

High pH often is a sign of a urinary tract infection. I have fed Canidae for over 8 yrs, and not had a problem w/ high pH unless there was a UTI involved (in puppies, very common). I'd not wait that long for a 2nd urine sample to be tested and would highly recommed you take in the one from 1st thing in the morning so it's most concentrated. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

It is not necessarily anything in the food, but the way the dogs body reacts to the food. With my one girl I found that California Natural worked well. When I gave the ACV I just put a little bit in her food with some water and down it went. you could also try putting a little bit in the water bowl. I use about a tablespoon per gallon of water. No one turns up there nose.

If the pH stays to high for too long then yes you can get UTI's.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC