Traditional CCL Repair

Thread: Traditional CCL Repair

Manteo's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraditional CCL Repair

Our new vet feels that Manteo has a torn CCL. She never yelped in pain and held her leg up. But after she has run for awhile and then comes in to lay down, she limps for a while when she gets up. I can also hear a clicking noise when she walks. Our old vet felt that she was fine. > Our new vet referred us to an ortho vet for xrays and an exam. He also recommends traditional repair rather than TPLO for her. She just turned 5 and is extremely active. She is 70#. Those of you who opted for traditional repair-are you happy with the results? This is such a tough decision, as you all know. Just want to do what is best for Manny. TIA!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Traditional CCL Repair

Yes, extremely happy. My dog tore her ACL completely about two years ago now. She had the traditional repair, did very well with the recovery and is now competing again in Agility trials and runs like the wind.

TPLO was very fashionable five or six years ago, it was the "new" method that was supposed to be superior. They are actually finding now that in the long term dogs that have the traditional methods fair no worse than dog's that had TPLO. Plus, the majority of dogs that have TPLO on one knee end up blowing the other knee in more cases than not. Some attribute this to the fact that the TPLO can drastically change the angle of the dog's leg/bones... and the other knee is not changed to match.

I liked the traditional repair because it is much less invasive, has shorter healing time, my dog had no outside therapy, my surgeon had me walking her the next day, and swimming her as soon as her stitches were out (swimming a few laps in my pool).

I think you will be happy with this surgery. I know my dog was And that of course meant I was too

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Yes, extremely happy. My dog tore her ACL completely about two years ago now. She had the traditional repair, did very well with the recovery and is now competing again in Agility trials and runs like the wind.

TPLO was very fashionable five or six years ago, it was the "new" method that was supposed to be superior. They are actually finding now that in the long term dogs that have the traditional methods fair no worse than dog's that had TPLO. Plus, the majority of dogs that have TPLO on one knee end up blowing the other knee in more cases than not. Some attribute this to the fact that the TPLO can drastically change the angle of the dog's leg/bones... and the other knee is not changed to match.

I liked the traditional repair because it is much less invasive, has shorter healing time, my dog had no outside therapy, my surgeon had me walking her the next day, and swimming her as soon as her stitches were out (swimming a few laps in my pool).

I think you will be happy with this surgery. I know my dog was And that of course meant I was too

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My friend has a pyrenese/lab mix (100+lbs) that tore both cruciates, she did all kinds of research and had a hard time justifying the TPLO, which is so dramatic a reconstruction. If it fails, there is nothing else that can be done.

They did a traditional fishing line repair, and if it failed, they would have done the TPLO on both knees.

Jacob is 4-5 years post repair, and he steamrolls the 'little' dogs like he never had a problem to begin with!

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I have had 2 girls here that have had the traditional surgery. My BIL's Golden also had it done, all dogs were done by the same sourgeon and have had great results. To be honest the TPLO scares me.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Actually we did the TPLO's and found that it was a pretty easy recovery. I think if the second knee is going to go, it's going to go regardless of the method of fixing the first knee.