oozing sore

Thread: oozing sore

Defaultoozing sore

I gave my dog Ace a bath yesterday and noticed a sore around is left shoulder blade about the size of a dollar coin. I few days later i noticed the same area was dark. I went to check it out and found that his hair was rock hard from what seems to be pus. I cleaned out the area which is red and oozing pus. He has all his hair in that area.
    I cleaned out the sore with distiled water and put a little bit of iodine.

I just wanted to know what could it be and what i could do.

Thanks,
    Keli and Ace

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: oozing sore

Sounds like a hot spot (pyoderma). Derby is just getting over one. Clip the hair off the sore and around the area. Clean up the sore. Then get some Gold Bond Medicated Powder and apply. You need to keep him from wanting to scratch at it.

I think your right.....

Thanks,
    Keli and Ace

PS
    How long was it till he got over his spot?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

The puss would concern me and it could be abcessed which means it has to heal from the inside out and would most likely need antibiotics.

I have never had hot spots but didn't know puss was associated with them.

Puss is an indication of an infection. I would be calling the vet to ask

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Hotspot. They do get gunky looking.

I've posted this before, and will post again. The best solution I've had in dealing with these is first, trim all the hair away from it so that it can get air. Then use a cotton ball soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide and scrub the hotspot once or twice a day. This will dry it up in no time and allow it to heal.

I used to fight these all the time on Ruger, had many treatments from the vet that took forever to work, or didn't work and I'd have to take him back. I finally just tried the peroxide and had wonderful results.

Pussy is a hot spot for sure.

Ruby had one, and it was so gross. Lots of gold bond and eventually we went to the vet to get something called Neo Predef, which is a prednisone powder, within 24 hours, it was dry.

Keeping it dry is the important thing.

Can take a few weeks to look remotely normal again.

I was told that once you have a hot spot, the dog is prone to them in the same spot again in the future. That has not been the case here thoough.

Can I ask, and this may sound weird, what lineage does your dog come from? Show bred or field/pet bred?

Generally the dogs with 'correct' or more 'correct' coats get them more often.