Poopy talk....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poopy talk....

DefaultPoopy talk....

Where else can I talk poop? ;D

Jonah's poops are not consistant. They are WAY better than they were the first few weeks he was home. He's still on Orijen Puppy. I can't complain, because of how much better they are, and I really like the food, but now I'm starting to 2nd guess :-\ He has been on it for 2 months now.

Are your dog's poops consistant, and if so, how hard are they? I guess I was thinking grain free would have similar effects as raw, with smaller, harder poops. Some are harder, some aren't. Some are barely pick up able, while others are fine. They are defintely not small.

I guess I'm just curious as to know if I should make a switch again. My problem is that I don't think any other grain free offers a puppy version. So am I better off just keeping him on the Orijen puppy for another 4-6 months (breeder recommends switching at 9-12 months to adult) and keep the soft poops (sometimes one a day, sometimes 2)? Or should I try to make some kind of switch?

I guess after this rambling I'm asking: does a soft poop or two a day matter and/or is this normal? He is growing fine, no other problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Poopy talk....

Molly & Abby's are formed & easily picked up. They eat ProPlan C&R. When I tried Molly on Wellness her poops were becoming very loose. I think it was too rich for her.
    I went back to Proplan because it worked for her. Abby too.

My dogs are all adults and their poops are always firm and consistent. However, when Zoe was a puppy, I kept switching foods trying to find one to firm up her poops. Never happened until she was around 7 months and I switched her to adult food. I was giving her yogurt and all sorts of things that was probably adding to the problem. I hate to see people here making the same mistakes that I did. Try to get on a good food (preferrably the one the breeder uses for his/her dogs) and stick with it until you change over to adult. The only time we get runny poo now is if they get into something they shouldn't or if I give them too many marrow bones.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Are you sure you are not over feeding? This can cause loose stools. Orijen is much higher in calories than whatever you were feeding before and you should feed less than the old food.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    Are you sure you are not over feeding? This can cause loose stools. Orijen is much higher in calories than whatever you were feeding before and you should feed less than the old food.
    For his weight and age he should be eating 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups daily of the puppy (according to package). He is getting 4 cups. About a month ago he was getting 3 cups (which was right according to weight/age at the time), but vet told me he was too skinny and to increase by a cup. So he gets 2 cups twice daily. While he bulked up some, I think he could probably actually stand to eat even more. He's been on it for 2 months. I had heard that too much could cause loose stools, but I definitely can't lessen the amount (and probably should even increase it).

Not all stools are loose; the one this morning was perfect. They seem to be random consistency (sometimes morning one is looser, while mid day one or evening one is harder, or vice versa).

JeffG is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain...Tys are like that right now. He's on Diamond Nat. L&R adult...and it seems like his whole life he's been constantly back and forth firm and mushy. Not to mention the horrible gas... :-X

In the process of trying to find the right food.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hmm.... Baloo's have not been the greatest either, as you know. I've found it really helped to add a good pro-biotic to his diet.

I got it at the local health food store, it's a refrigerated kind (they are apparently better) and it has done wonders for him. (And me too, while we're on the subject!! ;D)

Also, probiotics are totally safe, as whatever the body can't use just gets flushed. (This is as per the health food store lady, a bunch of differing websites, and my vet. )

As far as whether soft poops are a problem or not.....I think that it can become a problem because hard poos are needed in order to empty the anal gland fluid. If that's not emptied it can cause problems. :-\

But you said that some of his poops are hard, right? So I would *think* that's it's not such a big deal. Hopefully those hard poops can take care of the anal gland stuff.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Food guide lines on the bag of dog food are usually too much. The more you feed the more you have to buy.

Just something to think about.

Give him time to gain the weight on the added cup before adding more.

My girl took a good 3-4 weeks to gain a few lbs. with a 1 cup increase on a grain free food.

Good luck and I hope his stools firm up for good.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I wish I wouldve seen this before I posted mine Bogeys are the same way. I also feed 4 cups a day. I dont think its too much. Its only every once in a while tho, strange!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Are you adding water to his kibble? I did that and it firmed up our poop issues.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast