Food Woes...ProPlan vs Diamond naturals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Woes...ProPlan vs Diamond naturals

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood Woes...ProPlan vs Diamond naturals

Heres the scoop...I know food posts are numerous and boring, so i'll keep it as short as possible.

Ty has always had some issues w/ his food. He came from the breeders on a food I didn't like..switched him to Diamond Natural L&R LBP as I heard good things on here about it plus good price and it was available. Was on that until a year old...switched him to Diamond Naturals C&R Adult...WHOA. Massive piles of vomit...refusal to eat food...all around bad. Switched to Diamond Naturals L&R adult and everything was "okay". I say "okay" because...he's had two bouts of some type of itchy spots on his belly that kinda come and go. His feet have been itching him like crazy. He itches fairly often. His bowel movements are 50/50 solid/mushy. HORRIBLE gas...

SO....I live in a somewhat small town. We have a tractor supply company and a few farm supply stores. TSC has diamond naturals, nutro, eukanuba, PEDIGREE (YEAH!), Bil-Jac, and ProPlan and a few others not worth mentioning. I figured the next best thing is ProPlan. Should I give it a shot? If so, should I just completely bypass the chicken and rice and go w/ the lamb and rice or give the chicken a shot? (For a brief stint as a puppy he was on proplan C&R puppy formula..and did okay). I don't know if it was the chicken in the diamond naturals that gave him so much of a problem or another ingredient specific to the C&R.

Man i worry more about Ty's food that my own...

Thanks all for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food Woes...ProPlan vs Diamond naturals

The food merry-go-round...no fun. It is hard to say if it was the chicken. These labs are all so different with foods. I had Molly on ProPlan C&R, she was doing well, but I wanted to give her Wellness. By the time I was halfway through the switch...her stools became very loose. I think it may have been too rich for her.
    I went back to the ProPlan C&R. She has good poops, a nice shiny coat, no ear problems. So I figuered I would stick with what works. Unfortunately, that may take awhile to figue out.
    I don't know what to tell you, if you go with the Proplan..not sure if the lamb or chicken would be best. Do you think the chicken was causing the bad gas?
    Good luck.

labby is offline Senior Member

Give the ProPlan a try. It is the food that most Lab breeders/owners seems to feed.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My dogs have always eaten ProPlan they love it, give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG

SO....I live in a somewhat small town. We have a tractor supply company and a few farm supply stores. TSC has diamond naturals, nutro, eukanuba, PEDIGREE (YEAH!), Bil-Jac, and ProPlan and a few others not worth mentioning.

Thanks all for the help!
    I just want to add that Nutro, Eukanuba, Diamond, and Pro-Plan- are much, much better than Pedigree. Pedigree would be my absolute last choice in that list. Bil-Jac isn't high in there either.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I have my entire crew on ProPlan now and could not be happier.
    Kim

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

If Sammi didnt do as well as she does on diamond natural c/r or if I needed to change her it would be to proplan! Jmo- good luck

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I first started feeding Bogey puppy chow but he didnt like it plus he had loose stool. So I switched to pro plan He loves it! He eats the way a lab should eat. No more loose stool ether.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. When this bag of L&R gets a little lower we'll get a back of proplan (just gota figure out if i'm gonna go w/ the C&R or the L&R). I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG

SO....I live in a somewhat small town. We have a tractor supply company and a few farm supply stores. TSC has diamond naturals, nutro, eukanuba, PEDIGREE (YEAH!), Bil-Jac, and ProPlan and a few others not worth mentioning.

Thanks all for the help!
    I just want to add that Nutro, Eukanuba, Diamond, and Pro-Plan- are much, much better than Pedigree. Pedigree would be my absolute last choice in that list. Bil-Jac isn't high in there either.
    Yeah, I've read enough to know that pedigree is terrible..hence my sarcastic (YEAH!) ;D I THOUGHT about nutro, but i've read some other things on here not too favorable of nutru (i.e. Labby wouldn't feed it if it were free ;D)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Let us know how it goes. Out of those foods you listed, ProPlan would be my first choice and then Nutro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast