question about purple stuff (Gentian Violet 1%) and ear infection

Thread: question about purple stuff (Gentian Violet 1%) and ear infection

Defaultquestion about purple stuff (Gentian Violet 1%) and ear infection

i took my 8 month old black lab storm to the vet about 6 weeks ago for what i thought was ear mites. they swabbed the ear and it turned out to be yeast infection. they prescribed Tresaderm ear drops. i used the drops for 7 days as prescribed and the ear looked better. one week later it looked yeasty again. during the previous week , i did alot of reading about the Gentian violet solution A.K.A. "the Purple Stuff". i decided i would try the purple stuff and at the same time start to wean my pup off his current food which is loaded with corn by products and switch to a better quality food which is corn free.
    i've been doing a slow 2 week food change to minimize upset tummies and loose stools. it's crazy how almost every treat i have for my pup has corn in it.i also read that corn is often the culprit in dogs ear yeast infections
    i've used the purple stuff as i've read it should be used-2 x day for 2 weeks. then 1 x day for 2 weeks. then it says 1 x week for a month but i skipped a day a few days ago and his ear appears to be a little yeasty if i don't use it every single day
    how long can i use the purple stuff every day before it becomes harmful. i did switch the formula to using witch hazel instead of isopropyl alcohol to minimize any irritation from the alcohol .
    i can tell his ear is still bothering him cause he shakes his head after he barks. you can tell that when he barks alot it makes his ear itch. he also seems to be scratching alot lately in the past week. i'm wondering if it's maybe from the weather cause it's gotten colder and stayed colder over the past 3 weeks or so
    if anyone has any ideas besides going back to the vet it would be greatly appreciated. returning to the vet is always on my mind but i'm looking for some wisdom regarding the purple stuff, yeast infections, and allergies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: question about purple stuff (Gentian Violet 1%) and ear infection

I would go back to the vet.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

My dog had bad problems with his ears as well, I used the Purple Stuff, but only had to use it once a day for about a week, and that cleared it up. Also, I stopped feeding him any grain, period. No more bad ears or hotspots. Thank God.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It shouldn't take that long to clear up. I would have the vet recheck them and maybe do a deep cleaning (but that requires anistesia)
    I know you can over clean them and it kills the good bacteria but if they keep getting bad I would think it could be something else causing it. Corn isnt the only thing that can cause problems wheat is also a big source.

i haven't cleaned his ear with purple stuff for a few days now. so today i cleaned his ear with a regular ear cleaning solution and his ear was a tiny bit dirty.
    i know it shouldn't take as long to clear up as long as i have been using the purple stuff .i'm gonna probably take him in to see the vet on monday or tuesday if it isn't cleared up by then. plus Storm is also dealing with a lump on his snout that will need to be looked at too if it hasn't gone away by then.
    i really don't want to have to start feeding him a grain-free diet. that had got to suck for the owner and the dog. i've been reading the ingredients on all his food and treats for the past few weeks and almost everything has corn in it. and everything has wheat in it.
    feeding a completely grain-free diet will take alot to getting used to. and i mean alot. what an incredible inconvienence it will be as a pet owner

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

When we used the purple stuff it worked pretty fast. If you are still having problems, you should probably go back to the vet. Especially if you have other problems. A grain free diet is not so bad. It may be a little bit more expensive for you but we switched to a grain free diet and it really made a difference, not so much with ear problems but with other itchy allergy problems. We tried Natures Variety Instinct and also Wellness Core and they both worked well. Good luck with the ears.