Sarcoptic or Demodectic Mange?

Thread: Sarcoptic or Demodectic Mange?

DefaultSarcoptic or Demodectic Mange?

I posted my Gertie's pic's here about a week ago & many thought it looked like demodectic mange.
    How can you tell the difference between demodectic & sarcoptic?
    Skin scraping came back negative.
    My other lab is fine...so far.
    I also wanted any advice from the experts of mange out there.
    I am giving oral invermectin 4 times over 14 days.
    I see a lot of people have gotten injections at the vets.
    Does it depend on the severity? Gertie ears are spotty. And some on her legs, belly, paws.
    She is also fighting yeasty ears which I have been treating for over a week now & they seem
    to be good one day and then horrible the next.
    Any relation between the ears & the mange?
    Should I be seeing an improvement after just 1 oral dose of the invermectin?
    Any help is really appreciated....can ya tell this is driving me crazy already??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sarcoptic or Demodectic Mange?

Here's a good linky for sarcoptic mange:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=764

And for demodectic:
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html

How old is she again? I would tend to lean toward sarcoptic if she is not a pup or a senior. I think the main difference between sarcoptic and demodectic mange is that demodectic is hereditary, and sarcoptic is more infection based. With demodex the immune system is suppressed, which is what allows the demodex mite to take over. I don't think this is the case with sarcoptic. Because of the ears being involved, I would also think sarcoptic.

I don't think you will see a difference with one dose of Ivermectin. My Peanut was on it daily for the better part of a year (she had generalized demodex) and I didn't notice any difference for a few weeks, possibly even a couple months after starting it.

Hope she gets better soon, I know how worrying and frustrating it is!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

She's 18mo. old.
    I did notice over the summer the little balding spots areound the
    rims of her ears. I thought it was just from the two dogs
    play biting & goofing around just being dogs.
    Is one worse than the other or harder to get rid of?

Channel 2 Pet of the Day for October 24th
    Check out my pups in the leaves:

http://www.wgrz.com/includes/Ajax_pi...4576&cat=96,96

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Demodex is worse than sarcoptic, as it involves the suppression of the immune system, whereas sarcoptic is basically akin to an infection/parasitic condition.

From what I understand, sarcoptic is easier to treat.

However, every dog is different so it really depends. A really mild case of demodex is probably better than a severe case of sarcoptic, know what I mean?

ETA: Very cute babies you have there.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

demodex is very easy to find on a skin scape and sarcoptic mange is very hard to find on a skin scape and your other dog would show signs ago. To me I would said it looks like a fungal infection. You could try using malaseb shampoo were you see the spot twice a week and see what happens. When dog have demodex usual the treatment is oral ivemec everyday for 8 weeks and with sarcoptic it is injection of ivermec everyother weeks for 3 treatments.
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel
    demodex is very easy to find on a skin scape and sarcoptic mange is very hard to find on a skin scape and your other dog would show signs ago. To me I would said it looks like a fungal infection. You could try using malaseb shampoo were you see the spot twice a week and see what happens. When dog have demodex usual the treatment is oral ivemec everyday for 8 weeks and with sarcoptic it is injection of ivermec everyother weeks for 3 treatments.
    Ditto; I've had experience with both in rescue. The sarcoptic is also contagious where the demodex is not. My vet gave us a script for Ivermectin when one of my young fosters had demodex. I ended up keeping her and after reading up on it; stopped the treatment. I put her on a healthy diet with supplements to try and up her immune system. Did the vet not recommend ANYTHING regarding her ears?
    PM me your email and I can send you some holistic information on mange that I got from another forum.