Chemo

Thread: Chemo

DefaultChemo

Has anyone here put their lab through chemo treatments?

Rhys was scheduled to start 4-6 cycles on Saturday but his levels weren't good. Now I am rethinking it all together. Just a recap, Rhys was diagnosed with a primary bone with mets to the lung and stomach invading the esophagus now. He was given 3-6 months in July, but he is a stubborn Irishman, and is laughing at them now.

Now the doc is talking about palliative radiation, but he doesn't seem to be in any pain???

He's on the way back down weight wise, which seems to be his thing...the visible mass gets bigger and he gets thinner, then he gets bigger. He's down 11 lbs now from three weeks ago, which was his high point this year at 71lbs. He is now 60.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chemo

I haven't ever chosen to do chemo on any animal of mine with cancer

been asked to consider it twice in the last two weeks actually but chemo is palliative in nature for animals - not curative and I'm simply not prepared to be so selfish as to put my loved friends through it to simply extend my time with them

I have heard far too many tales of peoplle doing chemo - extending life then losing the animal within a month of chemo being done

I am actually doing a home course of chemo meds with one of my sick cats .. the bag is pretty scary and I have to wear gloves when pilling her - if the chemo process stresses her out at home I will stop despite the fact she is showing no visible signs of cancer and we can't find a tumour ...

so sorry to hear you tale - I lost a very dear dog with bone cancer 4 years ago right around this time of year ...

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Sorry to hear about your boy.

Rhys had been doing so well that what they said made sense to me, and trust me I am very analytical. He was doing so well that if I didn't do something to help him, I'd have felt bad.

We are waiting for next week to see if he is coming back up or going down...last time it took 8 weeks for him to begin the upward bounce...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

oh I understand doing it as well

and hope if thats truly what you want to do you can get your boy healthy enough to do so

I have given it much much thought over the years and have had cancer in every part of my family that matters (dogs, cats, horses and far too many people) so have had many mnay chances to think about it

if it was curative I wouldn't hesitate one second!

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

georgie is offline Senior Member

I didn't have the option to do chemo on Shadow, her leaukemia was too bad. But I think Sandy did chemo with Tank.

It is always such a hard decision. I hope Rhys continues to enjoy life.
    (((((HUGS)))))

labby is offline Senior Member

I've never done chemo on mine. Like georgie, I think Sandie did it with Tank. You might PM her.

Laura