Sammi's ears are a mess!

Thread: Sammi's ears are a mess!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultSammi's ears are a mess!

I really havent had any problems with Sammi's ears- she did get one ear infection this summer, I think from so much swimming! I do check them freq., but this week they have gone from looking great to being red and irritated looking, she doesnt seem to be scratching at them, it truely looks "yeasty"- if you have had this problem with your pups, what have you used on them? TIA- Di

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sammi's ears are a mess!

Oh boy, that was Henry for the first 3 years of his life. :-\

Honestly? I switched him to raw and within a week, his ears cleared up. I kid you not. However, if you're not willing to make that leap, try eliminating grains from Sammi's diet... food AND treats. That should help immensely!!

Here is a good article on yeast: http://www.b-naturals.com/Apr2002.php!

Good luck!!

Di

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Oh boy, that was Henry for the first 3 years of his life. :-\

Honestly? I switched him to raw and within a week, his ears cleared up. I kid you not. However, if you're not willing to make that leap, try eliminating grains from Sammi's diet... food AND treats. That should help immensely!!

Here is a good article on yeast: http://www.b-naturals.com/Apr2002.php!

Good luck!!
    Would it come on that quickly, I mean one day they look great, next a mess! None of her food or treats have changed :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That I'm not sure about... Henry's would come and go despite being on the same food/treats. Does her ear smell yeasty? I could usually tell when Henry had a flare up, I'd lift his ear flap and sniff and it would smell kinda sweet. ??? We finally got a diagnosis when our vet swabbed the gungies in his ear and cultured them. Up till that point I had been using ear cleanser (vet stuff and purple stuff, which I still continue to use when he gets dirty) and the vet kept putting him on antibiotics, which I didn't like.

Ruby has a yeasty ear which isn't giving up the ghost. This is the first time she has ever had a problem, and I think it is from swimming.

She had her ear guck cultured yesterday and it was just a touch yeasty so they flushed it and prescribed Otomax...which I would rather give now then have her sick when she is preggers.

The ear didn't get better when we switched to grain free. Stayed roughly the same.

After the flush yesterday it was nice and pink when we got home...until Rhys started 'helping' by cleaning it.

Hey Melissa, is Otomax the gooey squeezy stuff or the liquidy stuff?

Kinda gooey and milky looking

Sounds like it's environmental (time of year) if you're not dealing with it on a consistent basis. Otomax will usually clear it up (from the vet). I've also used probiotics on their food when they have an ear problem, which has worked well (ear problems haven't come back). If it's already red looking, you probably need the Otomax.

Di

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    Sounds like it's environmental (time of year) if you're not dealing with it on a consistent basis. Otomax will usually clear it up (from the vet). I've also used probiotics on their food when they have an ear problem, which has worked well (ear problems haven't come back). If it's already red looking, you probably need the Otomax.
    Thanks, I did get the otomax today from the vet! I also think it is environmental, just such a drastic change with no food changes! Where do you get the probiotics?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ruger to a T.

First and foremost DRY the ears the best you can after swimming.

Then, the purple stuff.

Then, get your dog off grain. That was the real changing factor for Herr Ruger. Once we started feeding him EVO (no grain) no more ear problems and no more hotspots, and I can tell you honestly these were the bane of his existance, it was horrible.

Good luck. I hope Sammi feels better soon.