How do you lift a lab?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you lift a lab?

DefaultHow do you lift a lab?

Hi... I just posted on the Introduction thread -- thought I'd stop by here, too.
    Hate to be repetative but my dog needs help!

JoJo is a 12-year-old, 100-pound, female with hip/leg problems. She cannot go up steps or jump into the car.
    I need to lift her but I can't. I can't lift her with help from another person, either.

I'd be grateful for advice! Thnx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How do you lift a lab?

Hi! and welcome to JL!

Do you need to lift her completely, or just help her up steps/into the car? I'm able to lift Henry (one arm under his back legs, one arm under his chest) but he is much smaller than your JoJo!! If you need to just help her up the steps or into the car, maybe if you put a towel or something under her belly and help hoist her up??

Barring that, maybe make a ramp of sorts for the steps or into the car?

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Hi! and welcome to JL!

Do you need to lift her completely, or just help her up steps/into the car? I'm able to lift Henry (one arm under his back legs, one arm under his chest) but he is much smaller than your JoJo!! If you need to just help her up the steps or into the car, maybe if you put a towel or something under her belly and help hoist her up??

Barring that, maybe make a ramp of sorts for the steps or into the car?
    Hi and thanks.
    Yes, I need to lift her completely. She does not seem to trust help and goes away from the steps. She'll come back when called but she is wayward - I think she has lived with cats too long
    You mean put a towel under the back legs to help her along? I never tried that.
    As for a ramp, it would have to be a long, tall ramp from first to second floor... I don't see how to get that...
    JoJo's grandpa and uncle built her a wooden ramp for the back-porch steps.. I hate to ask them for more help - like to be independent... but I will if I can't come up with anything on my own.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Another thing that might help is a harness. That would help lift her in front. One vet calls them "suitcase dogs." Also, try and get some weight off of her, that would help her joints tremendously.

You mean put a towel under the back legs to help her along?
    Yep!

Or, like Betsy suggested, a harness like this?
    http://gear4dogs.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=114

One arm under the front legs, one in back and a prayer that I won't destroy my back or my arterial stent!

Peace!

-Robert

Kathryn Guest

christmas before last I had a dog who stopped walking with her back legs. We did the towle thing to get her to where we needed her at the vet...
    I am lucky with Jacey that shes small enough at 10months that I can put my arms around her and pick her up even if she dosnt like it lol.
    I hope you find something that works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Another thing that might help is a harness. That would help lift her in front. One vet calls them "suitcase dogs." Also, try and get some weight off of her, that would help her joints tremendously.
    Where have I heard about the weight before ??? Ok. Everywhere! But the girl is big boned, really!

Thanks for the ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    You mean put a towel under the back legs to help her along?
    Yep!

Or, like Betsy suggested, a harness like this?
    http://gear4dogs.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=114
    Never saw this kind of harness. Thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by Mydogownsme
    One arm under the front legs, one in back and a prayer that I won't destroy my back or my arterial stent!

Peace!

-Robert
    Yikes! Maybe you should visit the harness site posted above
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast