new puppy lost his voice?

Thread: new puppy lost his voice?

Defaultnew puppy lost his voice?

i joined today for my niece that just bought a new choc lab. ive had them for years and never got into a situation like this.
    she crates him at night and the second night shes had him he was barking all night. today he went to bark and he sounds like a seal. no bark comes out but a horseness sound. now yesterday he was at the vet and got oral dewormer and a distemper shot. i dont know if that has anything to do with it. no discharge or coughing. everything else normal. anyone as im at a loss. thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

It sounds like he lost his voice from barking to much it will come back just give it time. Where is his crate? How old is he?
    Alicia

hi, thank you for the answer so quickly. he is 7 weeks old and the crate is in the mud room. she does have central air cond. and he was reared in a barn outside at the breeders. i am hoping it isnt a cold or a cough but he is fine otherwise. i am just worried as ive never heard of such a thing
    my niece told me he had some bark mulch from her yard in his mouth that same day which she took out, but i am wondering if that (the oils from it) had any thing to do with it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

My last lab (who never barked) would bark himself hoarse when we kenneled him. I imagine if this wee guy was barking all night he just strained his voice. Putting the crate closer to his human will help so he does not feel so lonely. Even if raised outside he still had the companionship of his littermates and mother.

My dogs crates are not that close to me...they are in the kitchen. I did, however, sleep downstairs next to the crate for a couple weeks until they settled in.

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I bet he would be SO much happer if he had his crate closer to his people like in there bed room.
    Alicia

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by millstonekennel View Post
    I bet he would be SO much happer if he had his crate closer to his people like in there bed room.
    ditto!!!!!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia