Question about arthritis ***Updated****
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about arthritis ***Updated****

DefaultQuestion about arthritis ***Updated****

When a dog has arthritis, does anyone know if this will start
    aging a dog????

Reason I'm asking, my sil has a brother litter mate to Bella. Well Yoda
    has developed arthritis really bad I guess up through his spine.
    He can barley walk, sit, and is in a lot of pain. My sil started giving
    him a food (can't remember name of it) that cost like $70 a bag
    and they are hoping it helps him. But we saw them tonight
    and Yoda has aged so much since I last saw him back in the spring.
    And him and Bella are just going on 5 in Feb. 08. In through his
    face he looks like an old man. Bob is wondering if he doesn't have some
    kind of disease that ages them fast. My heart just breaks that he
    is dealing with this so young. :'( And now I'm all worried about Bella
    having the same problem maybe.

****Update***********

I wanted to update this post I made months ago. A few things below I mention what kind of dog food my
    SIL was recommended by her vet to give Yoda for his bad legs. Well, I saw him the other day for the
    first time since I made this post, and I just wanted to say, Yoda is like a completly different dog now. He
    is himself again. This food that she has him on is like a mircle drug I swear. He isn't in pain, he doesn't
    walk all funky, he can sit like a normal dog sits. And he even lays with his legs all sprawled like the froggie
    lay. He doesn't look old in the face anymore. I seriously can not believe what a difference this food
    has made in Yoda!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about arthritis

My girl has arthritis really bad in her legs as well. Started when she was about 5. Then she tore her cruciate and it just sped things along.
    I don't know any food worth $70 that will help with arthritis. Supplements will help more.
    I also don't think he has anything that is aging him more and causing the greying. Some dogs grey young. But it could be the pain. Pain is when I noticed Cinder going grey. Even people who undergo surgery often grey afterward.

I supplement with Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength.
    http://www.osteobiflex.com/pages/products.aspx?PPID=3
    One in the morning, one in the evening. It helped, but she still moaned and groaned a lot.
    This summer I also started adding to her kibble along with the Osteo Bi-Flex some CCM Plus by Nature's Farmacy and after a couple months I noticed the moaning has stopped.
    I cannot claim it will do the same for anyone else but I can tell you I have been very pleased.
    Kim

I never thought the pain part would age them faster.
    I just emailed her to get the name of the food so I'll let you know.
    She had him on another special food from the vet and was supplementing
    with something but he was still in bad shape. Then vet gave her this
    stuff and said she should start to see a difference within 8 weeks. I believe
    she got a prescription for it. And this stuff is like $70 for a bag. But
    she said what she was spending in the other food plus the supplements
    she'll be spending about the same.

It was just so hard to see Yoda tonight. He can barely even sit down.
    She said they have to treat him like an old man. He can't run or do stairs
    and she has to take him on very short walks twice a day. But you could
    just see his spine area is a mess. :'(

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok she just emailed me this:

Royal Canin Mobility Support JS 21 Large Breed. It is prescription.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Oh gosh I know it breaks your heart to see them in pain. I was at a loss with Cinder. Not sure what more I could do to help her out.

Just an FYI. I feed her Pro Plan Senior that I get for about $30-37 (depending on sale and I also use breeder bucks). But that last me about 1.5 months. You can feed a more reasonable costing food.
    I pay about $40? for the Osteo and that is for about 2 months worth.
    CCM $20 for 1# and that lasted me an entire year.

IMO this kibble, the Royal Canin is not going to work. I don't think you can put Gluc/Con in kibble and have to have much of any effect. I also don't know how stable the ingredients are after they are put into the kibble. I mean, the shelf life may be cut in half or even destroyed.

Poor Yoda may also need to take Rx medication to manage pain. I forget what they are giving these days. I really did not want to go the medication route because Cinder is already on soloxine and prednisolone.
    Kim

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sorry about your SIL's dogs problems. I think they would be better off feeding a plain good quality kibble, and saving the $70 for supplements. They can do a combo of G/C/MSM, add Glycoflex, possibly even monthly adequan injections. I think they give rimadyl or metacam for arthritis. I would probably manage it that way if it were my dog. Also make sure the dog is as light as he can be without people thinking he's a skeleton dog. Less weight will be easier for him to manage getting around.

I keep reading that reducing the amount of grains and carbs in dog food helps greatly with arthritis.

http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html

Some grain-free foods (EVO comes to mind) replace the grains with potatoes which some people believe will actually cause more inflammation in arthritic dogs, so keep an eye out on that if you switch to a grain-free food.

Thoughts are that nightshade vegetables (potatoes included) can contain toxins that are not good for arthritis, but from what I've read, it's the green part of the nightshade that have toxins or if the plant is harvested while it's green and used, i.e., if potatoes are green, unripe, and used, green tomatoes, etc. It's seems to be a case of what and who you read. :-\

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry for your SIl dog.

Ernie is 5 with arthritis. He isn't as bad as your SIL dog, but bad for his age.

Some times people say look at the poor old dog. Winter is really hard so he wears a coat at night or cold days. Also a warm wheat bag when he is sore.I know all dogs are different, but I believe the food and excersies do make a difference.

I was told to feed Ernie a very expensive food which is suppose to be a miracle. Think it was Science Diet Gold. With his meds i just can't afford to do that and kibble makes him itch.

I have found the raw feeding, cans of fish in natural oil, keeping him moving and swimming has made a big difference. Recently someone asked if he was a year old. It is hard going, but I come home as often as I can during the day to get him moving or take him to work. Laying down all day is the worst thing for him. He can't get up.

I was also told recently not to take them off the Metacam. I do to give his gut a rest and now it doesn't work as well as it used to.

He is also on Pentosan injections (Adequan). Was monthly, but lately fortnightly. It is all expensive, but I would rather do this than pay for the food. Each of us make a choice that suits us.

I have heard accunpture is good and I am trying to find one for Erns.

If you keep Bellas weight down, excersise then i am sure she will be fine.

Sorry to ramble.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast