Science Diet Natures Best
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Science Diet Natures Best

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultScience Diet Natures Best

Anyone heard about this food. Just curious.

http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/minisite/naturesBest/naturesBestHome.hjsp?JSESSIONID=HqQgwSpkyrM9uwoUld Z25o8GJ2BWQTdv5ZQwk254rGcHuaZCwvh9!-2007071424!167846923!7005!8005&bmUID=1193971744882

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Science Diet Natures Best

Way too much grain for my liking. I've never been a fan of Science Diet.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It has more grain in it than my (Costco's) Kirkland C&R/"Diamond Naturals" C&R but I doubt if it's more than in Eukanuba/Iams or ProPlan/Purina One.

I have a couple friends who work at Hill's Science Diet who have Labs and come to our LabFest. One's a vet and one's in IT (Information Technology). Brian has a 7 year old Lab (Jessie) that'd gotten too gimpy from arthritis to come to our LabFests. But he started feeding her a new Science Diet for joint relief and she walks and runs like a different dog. There's such an amazing difference, I wouldn't care if it had every grain in the world in it -- it's working so well for Jessie.

(BTW, neither person from Hill's tries to sell SD; and they may be the only ones of our group who feed it, I don't know.)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, Bob. I'm trying to find a diet that my vet and I can agree on. Buddy has had a creatinine at the top level of normal for about 18 months. My vet wants him on a low protein diet preferably a Senior diet. All that I've tried him on have done awful things to his coat. I began searching the internet for help with possible kidney problems. Several articles I read mentioned feed diets low in phosphorus. They said high phosphorus was worse than high protein. Science diet is the only food I found with low levels of phosphorus. I don't like regular SD, but this new food looks interesting. I'm going to give it a try and see what Buddy's creatinine looks like in a couple months. Thanks again.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Just because they say it's natural and better doesn't make Science Diet ANY BETTER. Let's look at the first 10 ingredients:
    Chicken once processed, it loses it's moisture and moves down the list so that it's no longer the ingredient with the highest percentage in the bag. You actually would want to see chicken MEAL as #1 with a good food
    Brown Rice OK, but when moved into the #1 spot, you are feeding a high percentage of grain vs. meat protein
    Whole Grain Wheat Some don't like wheat, but coupled with the rice and the barley....too much grain
    Cracked Pearled Barley As I mentioned, too much grain
    Soybean Meal Adding even MORE grain
    Chicken Meal Good ingredient, too far down the list under all the grains
    Pork Fat I don't know if this is good or bad, probably wouldn't want pork in a chicken formula, I think it's just a cheap ingredient
    Dried Egg Product OK, no problems with this ingredient
    Natural Flavor why bother?

But I guess if you need it for health reasons, it's worth a try. Have you looked at Solid Gold Holistic Blendz, I think that's low in protein.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How about:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...tml#Guaranteed

This was the food with the lowest protein that I could find -- 16.5%. That's way too low for my liking but the ingredients are good. Much better than the SD.

Right now I'm not looking at a food particularly low in protein. I'm looking for one low in PHOSPHORUS. I've read that a low phosphorus has more effect on renal function than a low protein. I will check out the phosphorus levels of these foods you've posted.
    Jen, Buddy is on the Lamb and Brown Rice. Did I post the wrong link....let me go check.

Here's the link to the actual food we're using. Sorry, I thought I had posted this before.

http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/min...kTheLabel.hjsp

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultQ

I have had a dog with KF and it is no longer recommended to feed low protein. Rather high, good quality protein. This is as far back as 2003 or 4 and beyond.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....e=protein_myth

You are right in feeding low phosphorous. Do not feed veggies as they are loaded with phosphorous. You should feed crushed egg shells to help bind phosphorous in the diet.

I personally would not feed the SD kidney formula to my girl. Ethoxyquin is a pesticide that they use as a preservative in most of their prescription kibble diets.

I fed Royal Canine Maxi Mature 26 to my girl. 26% protein (with 1/4-1/2 cup cooked chop meat added to each meal) and .6 phosphorous. This food does have corn in it but the low phos. was more important and my girl did fine on it. The below site does not give you the phos. You can call the company and ask as I did.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...brand%5Fid=674

It has been a few years since I lost my girl so today you may find a better food (with no corn and less grain) that is also low in phos.

CoQ10 and fish body oil also helps.

Go to www.dogaware.com for info on KF and natural supplementing.

My girl lived comfortably with no outward signs of the disease for 1 1/2 years to the age of 16. She was monitored thru blood work every 2-4 months.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info and links. I'll check them out. I, too, had heard about the levels of protein.

CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Looking at this link - is this the food your dog is on?

http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/min...kTheLabel.hjsp

I see no ethoxyquin - perhaps SD stopped using it as a preservative.

The ingredients don't look too bad - no corn like in their other foods.

The phosphorous is .4 which is excellent for KF and better than what I fed at .6

The protein is a bit low IMO at 21% but you could add meat protein to each meal to increase that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast