Sparce coat...cause??

Thread: Sparce coat...cause??

memphis is offline Junior Member

DefaultSparce coat...cause??

Wondering if my 7 month old puppy's coat will ever get thick. It appears that he has no undercoat. Is there anything i can do to get his hair to grow? Is there a cause for no undercoat in a well bred lab? I thought all labs had double coats.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sparce coat...cause??

I think that a lot of the time it does take awhile for their coat to come in. Do you have any pictures?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

What do his parent's coats look like? Are they show bred, field bred, somewhere in the middle? Coats are mostly genetically linked and many field/pet bred labs have incorrect coats lacking undercoat. You can also change coat a bit by food and, of course, there are medical reasons for losing coat, but usually what's supposed to be there is there

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If there are no other issues, then he'll be fine. The undercoat will come in one winter gets here and will shed in the spring. Some labs are slicker-coated than others. You may have one that's slick. That's okay, he'll still get his warm undercoat, just won't look as furry.

I'm with Nicole, depending on your lab's parents, coat is either there or not.

Even though my Ruby's coat is nice for a yellow, she has a littermate with little undercoat (but the best yellow top coat I have seen) and another littermate who is a fuzz bucket.

When chosing a puppy, if you intend to show, I like to see a nice top coat/guard hairs and a plush undercoat evident at about 4-5 weeks.

My Roo had a beautiful coat until about 8-9 months, she still has a decent coat, but I'd like a bit more...but alas, she is a house dog, and I'll take what I can get!

He's a baby, he'll shed, I promise

Coats are like anything else, they are genetic. Two dogs that have wonderful coats may not ever produce themselves, which is why people are still breeding dogs, because its not really a science and its not really an art...its, well, a crap shoot!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by memphis

Those genetics sure are wacky. Makes you wonder why breeders even care about breeding to a dog with a good coat if it is that much of a crap shoot.
    I don't know the exact answer to this, but I'll give it a shot. ;D

Basically, if you breed to a dog who has a bad coat/no coat, you have very little chance of producing pups that have proper coat. But, if you breed to a dog that has a good coat, you have a much better chance of producing pups with good coats.

Baloo had an awesome coat as a young pup, he's lost a bit of it now, and I hope it comes in as he gets a little older. But if it doesn't, oh well. Less hair in my house. ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by memphis
    Those genetics sure are wacky. Makes you wonder why breeders even care about breeding to a dog with a good coat if it is that much of a crap shoot.
    Gee, if breeding was so simple then I guess we'd all be breeding the perfect dog. There is nothing guaranteed when you are dealing with genes. The old adage, "breed the best to the best and then hope for the best" was said for a reason.

Plus let's not forget, if the breeder is reputable, they're going to keep the best puppy for themselves. So those that are sold to others might have more faults than the parents.

Laura