Orijen Update and Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orijen Update and Question

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultOrijen Update and Question

Things are going well on Orijen so far.

I do have one question/concern. As mentioned before I have some concerns about how much to feed. i was closer to the 4 cups a day during the switch and the first week or so. I'm pretty sure he gained a few pounds (didn't weigh him so I can't be sure - and i'm VERY paranoid so it could just be me)

He was never a beggar. I let him eat as i sit down to eat my supper and he'd come say hi when he was done and then go to the couch.

Since i've been feeding him 1.5cups twice a day (total of 3cups) he comes to me and won't leave. he's really pushing at my elbow and then sitting on my feet. He's back to the poop eating and dirt eating and spends alot of his time at the park searching for food. He's also begging others more for treats.

also - should you SEE the ribs? or is that just another debate in itself?

Do I try going back up to 4 cups a day? Maybe the weight gain is more my obsession and less actual weight gain? I didn't weigh him so I can't be sure. I hate the begging.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Orijen Update and Question

Do you add water to his food? I add quite a bit of water, and that keeps them full, also it makes them drink water, which keeps them hydrated and helps with poops.

Mine I don't think get 4 cups a day, I don't actually know.

They have always begged, so I can't say I've noticed a change!

I wonder if Orijen adds something to their food to make them crave more??

Henry was the exact same way when he ate Orijen... even with water in it and supplemented with green beans. He still looked so famished afterwards that he looked like he was going to eat the bowl and then make my couch dessert. I'm not kidding. LOL!

Tanya, why don't you weigh him and see? I don't know if you should be able to see ribs, but you should be able to feel ribs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

P.S. I don't want to see my dog's ribs. Rhys, I have no choice, but poor starving Ruby is pathetic enough without seeing her ribbies

You can DEFINATELY feel his ribs, very clearly. Any less weight and you would see ribs, I think we're just at that point where there is juuuust enough fat to cover them up (so you can't see them). I will try to go in and weigh him tomorrow.

it's just the begging that is unnerving. if he had ALWAYS done so it would be one thing but - this is new.

I will try water Melissa, I ment to start after reading the posts in the other thread.

Seriously? he never begged before? How did you manage to train that one?

I thought the labrador beg was as characteristic of the breed as its otter tail...

depends on what I eat. he is a very discrete beggar (he may sit back a few feet so I won't even notice! haha). I can sit on the couch with him and eat and he won't beg. If I'm cooking he'll sit at least 5ft from me and watch.

but this coming up to me and none stop nudging of my arm is VERY different behavior.

Though..this new behavior is ONLY right after he has eaten (I always eat at the same time as he does so he's done wayy before I am)

Didn't train him on this either. He does not go for human food really (if I offer he's all over i

Hmmmm....maybe the 8" labrador drool snake isn't a breed characteristic.

Maybe I am starving my poor dogs LOL

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I feed Rowan two cups of food divided twice daily. I haven't added water to hers yet - but she seems to be doing fine.

She has lost some weight since switching over but has a bit to go yet. She follows me around like she is starving too somedays but I think it is the Lab in her. She does get apple slices or bananas occasionally as a treat.

I do feed the FISH formula - I wonder if it makes any difference??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

had him weighed...

85 pounds! he's gained 3-4 and i prefer him at 80. (before the switch I was trying to get him from 81.5 to 80)

The gal said maybe the particular protein in the food doesn't fill him up.

How long should I wait at the 3/cups a day mark before deciding to change foods? Do I give him another week or two? I WILL be adding water to his next meal as well. I don't know about adding things like green beans - it might work but it's not a habit I want to get into (I am keeping it under consideration) Could he just "feel" that there is less food in his bowl rather than be hungry?

Thanks!

ETA: Melissa - when waiting for his food he DOES drool, big time. Just not when I'm eating. I think his previous owners didn't feed him from the table so he doesn't associate human eating to HIS eating. who knows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast