Parvo questions. . . need to know about exposed adult dogs

Thread: Parvo questions. . . need to know about exposed adult dogs

Emyly is offline Senior Member

DefaultParvo questions. . . need to know about exposed adult dogs

Hey all. Here's the deal: The litter of pups that my Dad's new GSP pup will come from have parvo and they've already lost one pup.

The owner (family friend) will be coming down to hunt but won't bring the pup with since it will be too soon for a full recovery.

If he brings the pups' mom with him, could she be carrying the parvo? I don't want my babies in danger. None of them are under 2 yrs, but Cocoa is 14 and rather frail.

What do you think?

~Em~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Parvo questions. . . need to know about exposed adult dogs

Yep, there is a possibility. I'm assuming the mom is vaccinated, but that won't prevent her from shedding the virus. However, I would think the risks are pretty low especially if your dogs are properly vaccinated, but I think you're rightly concerned about your senior. To be honest, I would call your vet. I wouldn't feel comfortable, in this situation, with an opinion from anyone other than a professional.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    ...To be honest, I would call your vet. I wouldn't feel comfortable, in this situation, with an opinion from anyone other than a professional.
    With all due respect for everyone on this board, I have to agree with the above.

I had never heard of Parvo prior to getting Hershey Kisses. We had no issue with her, but the stories I have read are too scary. That said, the dogs that have been exposed to the Parvo virus would just not be welcomed for some time period that I would ask my vet to recommend.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I thought parvo could be transmitted through shoes and the like- perhaps a breeder could answer that.

I don't know the likelihood of it being transmitted to adult dogs (I'm with Nick- call the vet) . I would esp. not want GSP mom coming if senior was frail- but I'm cautious.

I believe you're right. I remember when working at a vet clinic in high school that I had to bleach my shoes and everything before leaving when we had a parvo dog in quarantine (or if I cared for that dog and then went to another section of the building I had to thoroughly clean). I do know it's a very hardy virus. If it can be transmitted in this case, I don't know.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

What you don't know is if mom actually carried the parvo-- it could have come from any number of sources (stray infected dog wandering nearby and pooping/shedding the virus where another dog or the meter reader's truck running thru it at the neighbor's place, flies, etc.). The fact is that the virus is on his property and is a threat to others for a long time. Under AKC rules, anyone known to have parvo in their place is not allowed to show at trials/shows for something like 6 mos. That's how bad it is. I'd ask the guy to leave his dog at home this hunting season out of respect for others and of course everyone who visits his property had better bring a pair of shoes they can take off as soon as they leave and disinfect so they don't pollute their own property. I'd also be afraid for your oldster-- the very young and the very old have the least immunity to things. I'd also highly recommend that the guy look into buying Neopar vaccine if he plans to breed again as this is considered the best parvo only vaccine on the market. Some breeders give it to the pups as early as 3-4 wks, but I give it at 5 wks as I feel I live in a high risk area. It is so potent it overrides the maternal antibodies that the pups may have still at that age. I buy mine at Revival Animal. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I actually know of 2 adult dogs who ended up getting parvo from a litter of infected puppies- 1 was a 10-year-old rottie and the other was a lab mix, about 2 years. Just like humans, not all vaccines are 100%, and not all dogs' immune systems are 100%. I would sure not want to have anything around that could *possibly* bring parvo onto my property (shoes, an exposed dog, etc.) because it is *incredibly* difficult to get rid of once in the environment.

Plus, even recovered puppies can have damage from the parvovirus to the rapidly-dividing (growing) cells in their bodies such as heart tissue, and have been known to develop heart disease down the road even after recovery. Just something for your dad to think about when purchasing a pup from this litter.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    I actually know of 2 adult dogs who ended up getting parvo from a litter of infected puppies- 1 was a 10-year-old rottie and the other was a lab mix, about 2 years. Just like humans, not all vaccines are 100%, and not all dogs' immune systems are 100%. I would sure not want to have anything around that could *possibly* bring parvo onto my property (shoes, an exposed dog, etc.) because it is *incredibly* difficult to get rid of once in the environment.

Plus, even recovered puppies can have damage from the parvovirus to the rapidly-dividing (growing) cells in their bodies such as heart tissue, and have been known to develop heart disease down the road even after recovery. Just something for your dad to think about when purchasing a pup from this litter.
    Definitely. A friend of mine had 3 litters once that all got parvo (youngest were 3 wks when the 7 wk olds brought it home from the grass outside the vet clinic-- lesson learned there!). Fortunately for her, there was no heart damage, but in addition to the 8 or so pups that died and many thousands of $ in vet bills, almost all in the 2 older litters had deformed ears (cartilage damage) as I remember. My ACVO has mentioned on several occasions about fever and oddities that can show in the eyes too. Rotties are a breed notorious for parvo-- that is the one most cited for using the Neopar at the very early ages as their immunity wears off fast.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

The breeder with the litter of GSD could be carrying the disease and transmit it to your property.

It can live in a carpet for months. Maybe not as long outside - but I wouldn't take a chance.

The reason breeders don't want potential buyers coming to see pups if they have just been to another breeders house. To much risk for the pups.