Question about Dandruff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Dandruff

Gusdad is offline Member

DefaultQuestion about Dandruff

Has anyone here had to deal with dandruff with their dog? Gus has had a slight Dandruff issue for a while now and my vet only seems to want to sell me expensive shampoos that do no good. Does anyone know of any over the counter shampoo or home remedies that could alleviate this issue?
    <br />The Family

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question about Dandruff

First, I wouldn't bathe him as it strips the natural oils from their skin. Have you been giving him lots of baths?

I have found adding fish oil to the diet helps. I use Sea Pet (with vitamin E) or Grizzly Salmon Oil, but you can also use "human" fish oil pills. They are big, but just throw them in the dish and most dogs just suck them down. :P

Gusdad is offline Member

No, he only gets bathed about 1 every couple weeks or so. Most times not that often. The vet told me with last shampoo to bath him 2 times a week.

I'll try the fish oils, though
    <br />The Family

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I rarely bathe my girls, unless they have rolled in some stinky stuff. The fish oil may help. bathing too often can dry their skin & coats out.

I agree use fish oil w/ vit. E supp. (have to use vit. E supp. as the fish oil will deplete the body of E so it needs to be replaced.)Just make sure you know how much to give of each esp. if using a human fish oil product.
    Also try this brush him using a loofah. Give him a good massage w/ it. I'd recommend using a regular brush first to get the excess hair off of him then use the loofah. It helps to get the dead skin cells off something a brush will not do. I've found that my dogs like how it feels. I had one who I can only use the zoom brush on as she hated all other brushes and even she enjoyed the loofah. My lab mix had a beautiful coat, but when she started chemo it became very dry. I tried this remedy as she was already receiving therapeutic dosages of fish oil and it really helped.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Bess had constant bad dandruff and I now realize I was bathing her too often and with the wrong type of shampoo at that. I was using a baby shampoo thinking it was gentle, not realizing that all shampoos formulated for humans are many time too acidic for dog skin which is much more neutral.

A black Lab is a problem because when they roll in the Dreaded Black Stinky, it's hard to see the exact location for a spot cleaning. But flushing with water while rubbing is usually enough to remove stink and the spot.

If you MUST use a shampoo, go to a pet store and buy a shampoo formulated specifically for dogs. (We use Groomax for dogs)

Use it VERY seldom -- every 2 weeks is far too often.

Substitute fresh water showers (or swims) with thorough drying of fur and belly afterwards.

Fish oil caps won't hurt and probably will do some good. My Puff gets 1/day. I've never see a single flake of dandruff on her. But the most important things are:

-- use a shampoo specifically made for dogs

-- shampoo your Lab far less ofetn

-- if there's a stink, flush and rub it out with fresh water
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I agree with Georgie. Rather than giving him a bath some people on this forum use a solution of half water and half mouthwash. They take a spray bottle and spritz the dog with it being careful not to spray it into the dogs face. Afterwards they just towel the dog down. Also what food are you feeding him?
    Olie

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Fish oil works for Sammi also- She has only had 2 baths since we got her and she is almost two- I always get comments on how nice her coat is- also no itching at all! Hope the fish oil works for you

Gusdad is offline Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. He only has the one spot where it's an isue. I'll definitely try the fish oil. WE've always been complemented about how beautiful and soft his coat is, he just has the one blemish spot. Hopefully this will do the trick.
    <br />The Family

labby is offline Senior Member

Heck why give fish oil? Give a can of sardines once or twice a week. Its more natural and better for the dog. They'll get more goodies out of the fish than they would fish oil.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast