Wellness

Thread: Wellness

DefaultWellness

Jozie has another ear infection. The Vet seems to think it's food allergies. We currently are feeding them Avoderm. She's suggesting Wellness venison and rice. Has anyone tried this food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Wellness

Most people who have had dogs with ear issues have gone grain free and no longer ear problems. Try their Core line instead.

I was going to suggest what Betsy did.

Has your vet checked to see whether Jozie's problem is yeast? That's easier to sort through than going on the food rollercoaster. From what I understand, they just take a swab of the gungies growing in her ear and can tell from that. If her problem is yeast, eliminating grains will help immensely!! (I speak from experience!)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

In my own personal experiences I have learned a lot about yeast, ear infections and such. Ear infections are normally yeast related and that they are normally secondary to something else going on. I learned that my dog has a tendancey for yeast overgrowth and it manifested itself in ear infections and skin infections. Food relation is rare but can create the problem to surface.
    It is more often a comprimised immune system.
    Stress
    Hormonal
    Drug (antibiotic/steroid)
    Poor nutrition (and I don't mean the great grain debate - but rather improper vitamin/mineral)
    Inability to absorb food and nutrients properly
    The list can go on and on.

To rule out any food allergy issue I would beat it to the punch and test both skin and blood serum testing and also run full blood workups including thyroid.
    I spent thousands probably on foods when I could have saved myself a lot of stress and just did these things from the get go.
    I just spoke with someone the other day who spend 5 years (as I did) doing the dog food thing. I found hypothyroidism, they found addisons.
    Kim

Thanks for all the input. Jozie's ear infection is due to yeast. Her last one was not. The vet did mention she could be allergic to rice, but she gave me options. Try the Wellness, pinto bean and pumpkin diet, or a prescription diet. She did not say anything about the Wellness Core. However, I did come across it when I was researching the Venison and Rice. I am going to try the Venison and Rice, if that does not work we may ask about the Wellness Core. And maybe ask to get a panel done on her and/or switch to a protein and potato dry food. We go back on the 9th to check the ears again.
    Thanks again, I do appreciate everyones input.
    Rae