my new puppy's food seems to run right through him

Thread: my new puppy's food seems to run right through him

soozr is offline Member

Defaultmy new puppy's food seems to run right through him

My puppy Sam is right about 4 months old now. This coming Sunday, we will have had him for 3 weeks. When we brought him home from the breeder, we were given a big zip-lock bag of the puppy food he had been eating (I assume some sort of bulk food). Their instructions were to slowly start mixing this food into whatever food we were choosing to feed him. I buy pedigree for him simply because my 2 small dogs eat it. Anyway, we started a couple of days later mixing the food to change him over and after about 3 days his diet was only the pedigree.....he right away had very loose bowel movements. I decided that was normal due to the change. Here we are almost 3 weeks later and his poops are never solid! Sorry to be so graphic...but he literally has "the squirts" all of the time. I'm wondering if pedigree is not right for him, but also afraid to change to a new food and start all over again. Is this just normal for his age or should I be trying something different? He was on 3 cups a day when we brought him home and is now at 4 cups a day (2 in the a.m and 2 in the p.m). Outside of that, he doesn't really get any other food. He chews rawhide and once in a while a tiny piece of a dog treat that I give my other dogs..very very small piece. Should I change something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: my new puppy's food seems to run right through him

Well obviously the pedigree isn't agreeing with him. Can you get Iams or ProPlan where you are?

Laura

kaytris is offline Senior Member

What does the vet say? Have you taken in a stool sample for them to analyze? More than likely its the food, but better safe than sorry

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Call your breeder and find out what they were feeding. And then change from Pedigree.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

soozr is offline Member

Thanks for all of the advice. We are taking him to the vet first of next week. I am sure I can get Iams around here. I'll also see what the vet recommends. I just wasn't quite sure if it would take his system a little longer to get used to the different food. Thought he should be over that by now.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

He should be over it by now, there is something in the food that he's not reacting well to, so I would strongly suggest that you try something different.

Heres a good site that rates dog foods for you (also lists a bunch of different products, so you can see a bit of the selection thats out there):
    www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Good luck, sometimes finding the right food is a tricky process.

I would also get his stool analyzed by the vet, It's not that expensive, and worth it to rule out any
    problems. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!