Your lab's ears
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your lab's ears

DefaultYour lab's ears

Hi all,

My dog Kirby has a bad ear infection- I think it is yeast? Anyway, he has been shaking his head and scratching his ears. I have been cleaning them with this wash I bought at the vet.

I looked in his ears last night and they are all scabby and bleeding! :'(

We have an appt. this afternoon at the vet, but I am wondering what you do to keep your dog's ears healthy.

Thanks!

Libby

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Your lab's ears

Poor Kirby.

Alot of times ear problems are caused by something in their food. What kind of food does he eat?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Has he been on that food for awhile? Has he had ear problems before? Did you recently buy a new kind of dog treat maybe?

My Frankie is (I think) allergic to anything with fish in it, and I think eggs too. I switched to a fish & egg free food and his ears cleared up immediately.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I agree, check food allergies out, also, you might want to consider the purple earwash instead of the vet one. Many of us find it works 110% better. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Thank you so much. I am going to order the ear cleaner.

He has been on this food for a year. I am going to talk to the vet about possible allergies to his food. I don't like that they always recommend that Science Diet junk.

Last year Oona had major problems with her ears. Every day I would clean her ears and the next day they were loaded with junk. Finally they admitted to me that 40% of the dogs that they had prescribed this cleaner had had reactions to it. > Since then I only have to clean them out once a week. If your dog has a yeast infection they are going to have to prescribe something to kill the infection.
    Olie

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Glad you are going to the vet. If infection - they will give meds.

You can give apple cider viniger at 1 tbspn daily in food with water added to help ward off yeast in the future. You may have to start with less till she gets use to the taste.

Some dogs have problems with potato even though it is not a grain.

Perhaps trying a grain free (potato free) food would help. The only carb source in Natures Variety Instinct is tapioca. Not sure about Orijen. I think Evo has potato in it. Just a thought.

I used Zymox enzyme cleaner from Mocha's vet for hers but it was caused by swimming and was more a one time thing that cleared up. If it's something that keeps coming back I would definatly try a different food.
    Although I don't like the Science diet/Hills Perscription food I have to admit it helped my sisters dog SO MUCH it's amazing. Poor Jessie suffered with ear infections, itchy feet, and leathery red itchy belly for 10 years off and on!!! they tried everything different foods, steroids, benedryl, steroid shots.....you name it. Finally they switched her to the Z/D food and OMG the change is amazing her ears have cleared all the way up her belly is normal again and the hair has all grown back on her feet and belly that were nasty bare before. They saw a difference within a few weeks. It's been several months now and the vet told them to try switching to another normal food slowly now, but if it comes back they may need to keep her on it. In a case like this it was totally worth it and was the best option.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider had issues with his ears until we switched to EVO...now, his issues only creep up when we don't dry his ears out after swimming.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast