Let's talk about the lepto vaccine...

Thread: Let's talk about the lepto vaccine...

DefaultLet's talk about the lepto vaccine...

Just curious as to whether or not I've got my thoughts straight.

Lepto vaccine does not cover for all strains of lepto that are out there, correct? If so, is there cross-protectivity? ie. if vaccinated with lepto vaccine and otherwise healthy dog comes into contact with and contracts lepto, will his course of disease be milder compared to an otherwise healthy dog who hasn't been vaccinated with lepto vaccine?

Lepto is contracted by contact with contaminated urine in stagnant water or contaminated dead things, or via bites from an infected animal. Yes?

Lepto vaccine has higher incidence of adverse side effects/reactions. What number of cases in your immediate area would you consider high risk and worth the risk of the vaccine?

Just pondering... there were a large number of lepto cases in our area last fall... in our vet's office alone there were at least 4 that she could personally remember, and all 4 dogs died. :'( Our holistic vet (several towns over) has seen 2 cases already this year, with serious consequences. Even he is recommending the lepto vaccine.

I almost lost Henry a year ago. He was boarded for 3 weeks last fall in a high-risk lepto area (and hadn't been vaccinated against it). Within 24 hours of coming home, he developed an extremely high fever of unknown origin and tremors. Fortunately, he was rushed to the Vet Emerg Clinic in Oakville and received high doses of antibiotics for three days. There was never a definitive diagnosis given, but weeks later we found a (healing) deep puncture wound to his right shoulder blade that our current vet believes caused his illness.

So.... thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Let's talk about the lepto vaccine...

I never give the lepto available in the all in one shots. I do give the separate 4 strain Lepto shot yearly. Jake in fact will be getting his in a week now that his last vaccine was at 20 weeks. I don't like giving it, but a man died of lepto after falling into one of the local rivers. There are lepto outbreaks regularly in this state.

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

My girls get it because of the hunt tests & hunting they do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Laura! Thanks Georgie!

Our vet uses the Pfizer Vangard L4 which is the 4 strain lepto (L. canicola, grippotyphosa, icterohaemorrhagiae and pomona) on its own. She also suggested to give Henry Benedryl an hour before the vaccine and 8 hours afterwards.

Do you guys give a booster if it's a revacc? I *thought* for the initial vaccination it's two doses, 3-4 weeks apart.

You're right, it is 2 vaccines then the booster yearly. Mine got the 2 vaccines when we first started and Jake will get the 2 when I start his lepto series then go to once a year with the others.

Laura

So, if it's a revacc (Henry had his initial ones last year), he only needs one shot this year, right?

Right

Laura

Kewl. Thanks, Laura!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I have to give lepto as per visitation rules. I don't even know if there have been any cases of it in my area, but Peanut has fun visiting the old folks, and when Baloo gets old (and calm!) enough I'm sure he will too.

I have to admit it's not one I'm super educated on. SPCA said "You have to get this to do visitation", I said "OK". :-[
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Yep, we do the single (only lepto, 4-strain vaccine). It's the safest on the market in terms of reactions. Plus, vets know that lepto is notorious for causing reactions, so they tend to be more cautious with it (ie. your vet advising benadryl before and after the vaccine). Especially in a high-risk area I would much rather take the chance of a reaction and know when I need to be on the lookout then risk my dog being infected - and possibly myself as well (lepto is zoonotic). Lepto is a nasty thing to deal with.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy