mandatory spay/neuter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mandatory spay/neuter

Defaultmandatory spay/neuter

I am sort of upset about this. We decided after reading articles/debates and talking to our vet that we were going to wait until Jonah was closer to 2 years to neuter him as long as there are no issues (we are absolutely not using him to breed, this is only for health/growth reasons). Now our county is endorsing a mandatory spay/neuter law. Anyone else have that? How does it work (as far as how do they MAKE you spay/neuter)? The final vote is in a few months, guess I'll be going to public hearings. At this point they aren't really giving more details (such as how they are going to enforce it, penalties, etc.).

Right now, Jonah isn't registered with the county. My vet is in another county, and since I don't live in that county, they don't register him there, and she said if I want to I can register him with my county (not that she was suggesting I break the law, but she is a friend of mine) but that at this point no one has a record of him. So at this point I think I am not going to register him with the county and see where this goes (I do have the rabies certificate should I need it for something).

Here is the article if anyone is interested:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...svc=7&cxcat=76

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: mandatory spay/neuter

These types of laws have been cropping up all over the country. CA just successfully fought one bill. You might want to do some research on those states that have proposed them (KY HB375, NM HB 1106) and those states that dropped them (CA AB1634 and probably others) to use as ammunition. People don't realize that this may not effect them NOW (ie, why do I care? I don't live in CA) but it will effect them eventually...as you have discovered.

Register him with your parents county? Sisters/Brothers? Sure its not right, but whats important your pet or the county's laws?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would think that there are probably groups in your county who are fighting it already. Maybe hook up with them?

I don't know how worried I'd be about actual enforcement if it does pass. Technically, it is illegal to have an unregistered dog in these parts, but i didn't register Peanut until after i got her spayed (around a years and a half) and I never had any issues. AND, I took her to the dog park all the time, which is right beside animal control.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    These types of laws have been cropping up all over the country. CA just successfully fought one bill. You might want to do some research on those states that have proposed them (KY HB375, NM HB 1106) and those states that dropped them (CA AB1634 and probably others) to use as ammunition. People don't realize that this may not effect them NOW (ie, why do I care? I don't live in CA) but it will effect them eventually...as you have discovered.
    Thank you for posting - I had no idea Kentucky was considering this, oddly it hasn't been in the new here. I need to read up on this.

After reading it, HB 375 isn't a mandatory spay and neuter bill. It's actually the opposite, it prevents localities from passing ordinances that do just that.

Hmmm...I'll have to go check the exact bill # again...it might not be that particular bill. There actually was a bill for mandatory spay/neuter...thought it was KY. Many show people boycotted the state (or maybe only one county) for one of the major shows. They stayed in another state so the state lost money. Many people won't even drive thru states with these laws so the states lose money.

~edited~ Try HB270 for KY. Actually I think it is Louisville specific.

Also saw proposals for RI, DE, and Indianapolis in '06. VI, Austin, TX, San Antonio, TX, Lee's Summit, MD, Davidson County, NC, Henderson County, NC etc for '07.

You may have been right, it just may have been changed due to pressure.

It's hard to keep track anymore. Most of the laws are slipping by and getting passed by cities/counties because the state laws get so much publicity and push back.

Here...just notified about this one for Palm Beach, FL

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0,822642.story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast