RASH! what is it? (with pics this time)

Thread: RASH! what is it? (with pics this time)

DefaultRASH! what is it? (with pics this time)

Does anybody know what this rash might be? I noticed it yesterday. Today it looks like the same amount of bumps but a little redder. I also noticed them under his "armpits" too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: RASH! what is it? (with pics this time)

It could be a staph infection. Maybe even a contact dermatitis. I would have your vet look at it. Molly had some bumps like that on her belly & it was a staph infection. It cleared up quickly with antibiotics.

Brutus is allergic to fleas and that is what he looks like if he gets a bite. He had to be on steriods and antibodics because of it. (shots and pills both)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think you can rule out contact dermatitis, if they're nodules and not blisters.
    Something the Vet really needs to have a look at, here. :'(

Peace!

-Robert

I have an appointment with the vet on Thursday. I will let you know.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The pix is fuzzy but it looks somewhat like a pyoderma caused by a staph infection. If so, the red bumps will morph into darker scabs that (on my Puff) look like mud smeared on her skin, kind of brownish-black smears which are scabs.

IF that's it, it can be alleviated by a round of anti-biotics.

But Puff's kept reocurring.

I finally asked to see the dermatologist at KSU's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl. She reckoned it was caused by Puff's running in grasses wet with morning dew so Puff got water, pollen and dust on her belly. She Rx'ed a benzoyl peroxide topical shampoo, to be lathered on and left for 10 minutes contact, and then flushed off; the area was then thoroughly dried with towels.

That's worked fine for us.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Bob Pr,

This topic coupled with food discussion. HK had similar 'rashes' and similar theories by vets. Using a topical antibiotic (Animax) seemd to clear up a recurring situation. Then I switched from Euk LBP to Kirkland Signature C&R (which you are familiar with) and the rash has left, 2 months now.

Of course,
    (1) whatever pollen she was picking up may have run its cycle for the year and next summer will be back.
    (2) Whatever she was allergic to, may have subsided with the development of her immune system
    (3) maybe she actually was really having a reaction to Corn and Wheat? (although not clear on why Animax would have helped then)
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

(1) whatever pollen she was picking up may have run its cycle for the year and next summer will be back.
    (2) Whatever she was allergic to, may have subsided with the development of her immune system
    (3) maybe she actually was really having a reaction to Corn and Wheat? (although not clear on why Animax would have helped then)
    Could be....

Maybe you'll have to wait until next year to tell?

After the dermatologist said she thought it was from Puff getting a wet belly from the dew which then picked up pollen and dust, I often take Puff to the lake for several water retrieves immediately after our morning walks. That (my hope) flushes most of the pollen off and the thorough towel drying her after probably also helps.

Puff's not that fond of the swimming retrieves but she does love the being dried with a couple bath towels. I ask her to hop up on a nearby picnic table (so I won't have to bend over so far) and then give her a rub down all over, first with one towel and then another.

Puff says it's like going to a spa and having a masseur. ;D ;D
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Mocha also had a Staph infection on her belly like that. It cleared up quickly with the shampoo and antibiotics.