Maxximum Nutrition?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Maxximum Nutrition?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    132

    DefaultMaxximum Nutrition?

    Spotted their Kibble for Adult Dogs at Wallyworld, this last week.
    Read through the ingredients and didn't find much in the way of crapola. Has "Brewer's Rice", which is one of those semi-iffy fillers, but overall nothing else caught my attention as being too awful.
    Is anyone feeding their Dog this? How are they doing on it? (Questions, questions.. ???)

    Peace!

    -Robert

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Baloo317's Avatar
    Baloo317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,793

    DefaultRe: Maxximum Nutrition?

    Hmm.... that food is made by the same folks that make Ol'Roy.  :-X

    This is an ingredient list I found on the net for Maxximum:

    Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), animal digest, chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), dicalcium phosphate, salt, malted barley flour, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    Once you took the water out of the chicken it would probably be waaay further down on the list. You want to look for a protein source that's in "meal" form, that means that the water has been removed already and so the weight is accurately placed in the order of ingredients.

    That combined with the high amounts of corn/corn gluten meal (difficult for dogs to digest) and the inclusion of an unspecific "poultry by-product" source would concern me, as well as having wheat in it.  :-\

    Overall, I wouldn't touch that food with a ten-foot pole. 
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!


  4. #3
    Kinderwood's Avatar
    Kinderwood is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    440

    DefaultRe: Maxximum Nutrition?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    This is an ingredient list I found on the net for Maxximum:

    Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), animal digest, chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), dicalcium phosphate, salt, malted barley flour, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    That ingredients list is a little out-dated. Maxximum have since improved their formulas and started using Chicken Meal, taken out the by-products, replaced the animal fat with chicken fat, and added some more wholesome ingredients (fruits & veggies). It's also most likely not made by the same manufacturer as Ol' Roy. This is a sister product to the Sam Club Exceed. Exceed is made by Purina. To my knowledge, Purina doesn't make Ol' Roy- and if they did, I'd have to say even Beneful is better quality.

    There are quite a few field folks that have had great results on Maxximum.

    No, it's probably not the "best" food ingredients wise, but it's hardly the worst either. I'd give it a try.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

    In Loving Memory:

    HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,653

    DefaultRe: Maxximum Nutrition?

    Quote Originally Posted by LabLady101
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    This is an ingredient list I found on the net for Maxximum:

    Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), animal digest, chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), dicalcium phosphate, salt, malted barley flour, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    That ingredients list is a little out-dated. Maxximum have since improved their formulas and started using Chicken Meal, taken out the by-products, replaced the animal fat with chicken fat, and added some more wholesome ingredients (fruits & veggies). It's also most likely not made by the same manufacturer as Ol' Roy. This is a sister product to the Sam Club Exceed. Exceed is made by Purina. To my knowledge, Purina doesn't make Ol' Roy- and if they did, I'd have to say even Beneful is better quality.
    You're factually incorrect.

    Purina= Beneful and Sam's Club Exceed

    Doane Pet Care= Ol' Roy and Maxximum Nutrition (check the SEC filings for Doane if you don't believe me, it's listed as one of their brands).

    Maxximum is not a Purina brand and not a sister food to Sam's Club's Exceed.

    Furthermore, since Doane doesn't have an "official" ingredient list out, it's kind of hard to tell whether or not they have updated their ingredients.

    Quote Originally Posted by LabLady101

    No, it's probably not the "best" food ingredients wise, but it's hardly the worst either.
    Hardly a glowing endorsement for a food.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    132

    DefaultRe: Maxximum Nutrition?

    The ingredients list on the bag seem to be the ones that Lab Lady posted.
    The inclusion of Taurine has me scratching my head. I've always thought of it as being a stimulant, not necessarily a nutrient.
    Oh well. I'm poor as heck and decided to give it a shot.
    Rainy likes it. For a Dog that generally hates dry food, that's saying something.
    She seems to be doing well on the stuff, for now. It's just such a major accomplishment to get her to eat kibble in the first place. ;D

    Peace!

    -Robert

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,373

    DefaultRe: Maxximum Nutrition?

    Taurine is beneficial to the heart. Taurine deficiency can cause heart disease.

    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=1982

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25