vaccinations, your thoughts please

Thread: vaccinations, your thoughts please

Defaultvaccinations, your thoughts please

hi i was wondering what your thoughts were on vaccinations. charlie had all his shots when he was a pup,
    then when he was a year old he got his annual ones. but since then ive been looking this up on internet
    and also talking with other dog owners and it seems that a lot of people have thier dogs vaccicnated
    every two/three years. charlies now due his annual shots and i really dont know what to do, im worried
    if i dont get them done and he comes down with parvo i really couldnt forgive myself, on the other hand
    from what ive read annual shots are not really neccecery and its just another way of vets making yet
    more money. any thoughts would be most wellcome, thanxs

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: vaccinations, your thoughts please

Well, I don't exactly like the money hungry vet comment as I'm a veterinarian, but I do suggest my clients get their pups vaccinated according a basic pup vaccine schedule and get boosters one year later. After that, I suggest vaccinating every 3 years or having titers checked. However, you should check with your state's policy on rabies vaccine. I'm not sure if all states recognize the 3 year vaccine. Also, make sure your vet is using a 3 year rabies vaccine. Failure to comply with state regulations could possibly land you and your pets in legal hot water. I hope I didn't muddle the waters any more for you.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I will do as Ruff n tumble-suggested- Sammi had her puppy shots, and one year booster which I do myself, except for the rabies which has do been done by the vet - from now on I will do titers, except for the rabies which is required every 3yrs here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sorry about the vet comment but i was just saying its whats ive read.
    thanks for your input. and for the record i think my vet is great( as im sure you are ) over the past year
    i dont know what id have done without him

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Yep. It's a shame that some in the profession can make folks suspicious of all of us.

I'm also doing the 3 year revaccination schedule with Henry... fortunately for us, the 3 year rabies vaccine is recognized in our city! I also stagger the vaccs such that he doesn't get rabies in the same year as distemper/parvo.

Rabies every year; DHLPP every 3 years; I no longer get the KC vac for my dogs.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We do rabies every 3 years because we have to.

I don't do the other shots. Grace had her booster because we are breeding her, but I would actually prefer not to give them any more shots. Around here, they have priced titers so high that I just don't bother with them or shots. The dogs are fine...