Qustion about immune disorder that causes pain & swelling & bone degeneration.

Thread: Qustion about immune disorder that causes pain & swelling & bone degeneration.

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultQustion about immune disorder that causes pain & swelling & bone degeneration.

My friend just told me her breeder emailed them & said the dam was just diagnosed with some sort of immune disorder that will cut short her field work. Of course my friend did not know too much & she asked me, since she knows I also get great onformation here. What she was told. Under stress the dogs joints will swell & become sore. They don't know if it is hereditary but the breeder's vet said the dam will have to just be a house pet...no more field trials.

She also said something about this causing bone degeneration. I have never heard of anything like this. I wonder if any of you folks have heard of this.

I feel bad...even my friends vet said he would look into it but he said prednisone would help if it happens but we wonder what "stress" they are talking about. The stress on the joints from the field work or stress such as "nervous" stress.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Qustion about immune disorder that causes pain & swelling & bone degeneration.

I would have your friend contact the bredder and try to get specifics,icluding the name of the vet involved and permission for your friends vet to contact the dmas vet.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Qustion about immune disorder that causes pain & swelling & bone degeneration.

Thanks. I will try to get more information from them. The breeder did email them but I am wondering if they do not fully understand what the breeder said. Since these dogs (the dam, sire & also my friend's lab) all hunt & do hunt tests & field trials...the breeder told them their vet said she will have to be a house pet.

I wondered when my friend said.."Oh prednisone will help", she did not hear all that was said. I have never heard of this. It is not EIC, nor CNM. This was a new thing I had never heard of. Also, I am wondering if this is something that shows up later. I don't know how many litters this lab had & why she was recently diagnosed with it. They are not even sure if it is hereditary. I know they feel bad but since their pup seems fine now....they think it may be just the mother.
    I feel bad for them & hope they do get some answers soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Qustion about immune disorder that causes pain & swelling & bone degeneratio

Was it systemic lupus erythematosus? From the web: The "major" signs of SLE are arthritis affecting multiple joints, without evidence of cartilage erosion, multiple painful muscles, skin sores with bullae (blisters), increased protein in the urine, immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA), decreased platelet numbers (thrombocytopenia) and decreased white blood cell count.

The "minor" signs of SLE are fevers for no apparent reason, oral ulcers, inflammation of the pleura (the lining of the chest cavity) or pericardium (lining around the heart), heart muscle inflammation, enlarged lymph nodes, dementia and seizures.

Polyarthritis is another condition that will also degrade the bones and cause swollen and painful joints, much like SLE above, but the immune-mediated attack seems to be limited to the bones and joints.

more information here:
    http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...nnals.1398.013
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/autoimmn.html
    http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00068.htm (info once you scroll down on SLE and immune-mediated muscle disorders)

I'm so sorry to hear about their dog

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy