Help!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

DefaultHelp!!!

I just picked up Scarlet from the vet after her spay and they gave me NO pain meds. Is that normal b/c they said it was. All I know is that she is in alot of pain to be acting the way she is. Should I go back...of course now they are closed. Is there anything I can give her until the morning?

I am so mad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Help!!!

I think it's pretty common, especially with older vets, but it's not totally without reason. Humans, pain medicine or not, know when they've been operated on - dogs do not. Pain naturally restricts their movement so they're not bouncing around and reopen the incision. Others prefer to give pain medicine and manually restrict their movement (i.e. constant attention and crate them while you're gone). I would contact the vet and ask for medicine if you feel she needs it.

Yeah, I thought about that (blood thinning from aspirin) after I posted that, so I deleted it (better safe than sorry).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi didnt get anything after she was spayed and did just fine! She was pretty sleepy the first night and didnt seem to be in any pain the next few day's- my vet did say if she needed anything just to call, but there was no need- hope all goes well this first night

Dani is offline Senior Member

None of my fosters got pain meds after a spay...they all have done just fine. She'll be lethargic for awhile...and unless she's crying (versus moaning) I'd not worry.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

It depends on your dog and clinic.

My clinic believes in pain-free approaches to surgery- and I believe that's as much for the owners as the dog. Owners can elect to have 1) a pain shot after the surgery and 2) pain meds sent home. I did both, of course- and found out that Gabby does not sit well with Metacam :

If you believe she is still in pain this morning, call the vet and get pain meds. While she may be fine without them, it is clearly making you uncomfortable- and that is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by tricialeigh4jc
    Yeah, I thought about that (blood thinning from aspirin) after I posted that, so I deleted it (better safe than sorry).
    Well fine, then I deleted mine. :P

Although, I suppose the warning was still good - people should always check with their vets before giving anything.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We didn't get anything for Maddy's spay. Didn't see a need for it.

We did get pain meds for other operations like Elbow surgery and TPLO's but it was apparent that pain meds were needed....

Also, dogs don't necessarily have the same pain receptors as we do, so I think often we project our feelings on our dogs thinking that if WE went through something WE'D want pain meds, so the dogs must too. I don't think it works that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS

Also, dogs don't necessarily have the same pain receptors as we do, so I think often we project our feelings on our dogs thinking that if WE went through something WE'D want pain meds, so the dogs must too. I don't think it works that way.

The problem is dogs, particularly Labs, are very stoic so you may not even know they are in pain until it is very severe. FWIW, I'd probably ask for the pain meds. I see no reason for any creature to suffer needlessly.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

With Peanut the pain meds were embedded in her incision area in a slow-release style (sorta like timed released novocaine.)

I agree that it very much depends on the dog. Peanut is the biggest baby, even with the pain meds she was still ouchie for a few days, whereas I've seen Baloo run full steam ahead, crash into an iron gate, cry for a minute and then act like nothing ever happened. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast